9 Questions To Ask The Next Time You Don't Feel Like Yourself

Doctor of Physical Therapy By Reshma Patel, DPT
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Reshma Patel, DPT is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and holistic healer.
9 Questions To Ask The Next Time You Feel Out Of Whack

It's natural to be a little off some days—maybe you're having trouble focusing, getting extra tired, or just not feeling like yourself. The following questions can help you get to the root of the blahs and begin to take steps to help get your body back into balance. Keep in mind that if the feelings of pain, discomfort, and sadness persist, though, it might signal a larger issue that requires medical attention.

1. Am I taking deep and nourishing breaths?

Deep breathing fills our lungs to capacity and increases the amount of oxygen entering our bodies. Try to make your exhales slightly longer than your inhales to promote calm and focus.

Advertisement

2. Am I drinking enough water?

Drinking enough water increases blood flow and hydrates our entire body. Aim to drink half your weight in ounces of water a day. Coffees and teas don't count; they have caffeine, which is actually dehydrating.

3. Am I eating the foods my body needs?

Food is medicine. Heavily processed and sugary meals can cause fatigue and predispose us to lethargy and bad moods.

Advertisement

4. How much did I sleep last night?

magnesium+

magnesium+

The deep and restorative sleep you've always dreamt about*

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
(4.8)
magnesium+

Too little (or too much) sleep can throw any day into a tailspin. Aiming for 7-8 hours a night and sticking to a consistent bedtime and wakeup time can increases your energy levels, decrease stress, and help keep your mood steadier throughout the day.

5. Do I feel stiff and tender?

Stretching and massaging what’s tender and stiff opens up the joints and lengthens the muscles, releasing the stagnant energy.

Advertisement

6. Have I spent all day inside so far?

Go for a quick walk or just stepping outside for a moment—bonus points if it's in a green space.

7. How’s my posture?

Good posture stacks all your joints into proper alignment. It also opens up your heart center and takes pressure off the lungs allowing your ribs and chest to expand and let more oxygen in. So pull back those shoulders and and activate your abdominals.

Advertisement

8. Am I being hard on myself?

Be kind to yourself, always. A little self-compassion can go a long way.

9. Am I getting enough nutrients?

For me, taking Vitamin D and B complex in addition to my multi-vitamin is the difference between needing to sleep all day and wanting to climb Machu Picchu. Do some research and talk to your doctor about a supplement protocol that is right for you.

Advertisement

More On This Topic

More Health

Popular Stories

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Latest Articles
Advertisement

Sites We Love

Your article and new folder have been saved!