5 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan Snacks!

A few days ago, I was in my office snacking on some roasted chickpeas. A few people asked what I was eating. Which is the story of my life! I eat "weird" things because I don't want to put artificial sweeteners, colors, or allergens in my body (when I can help it). Plus, I'm not a great cook and am prone to eating on the run.

In case you can relate, here are my favorite easy and healthy snacks:

1. Avocado with lemon, salt, and pepper

I hope you try this! It takes a minute, and is great on the go. It's got healthy fat and keeps you satisfied without making you sick and bloated.

To make, all you do is slice the avocado in half. Sprinkle it with fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. (If you're on the go, leave the pit in.)

2. Roasted chickpeas

If you love salty snacks, this is a winner. It uses chickpeas, a great source of vegan protein. This recipe takes longer to prepare then the others, but you can make a big batch and store the seasoned chickpeas in an airtight container for days. You can used canned chickpeas if you're in a pinch, but I prefer soaking them overnight.

Soak 3 cups dried chickpeas overnight in a bowl with water and cover with a paper towel.

Place in a boiling pot of 3 cups water with 1 teaspoon salt.

Cook for about 60 to 75 min. Cool and dry completely.

Place the cooled chickpeas in a bag with coconut oil, salt, and cayenne pepper or curry powder and shake.

Place coated chickpeas on a greased cookie sheet and place in the oven for 300 degrees for 1 hour. Shake them and place them back at 400 degrees for another 30 min.

3. Fuji apple with chat masala (Indian spice mix)

This is one of my favorite snacks and my four year-old loves it, too. Just slice a Fuji apple very thin and sprinkle chat masala or jiralu over it. We buy chat masala and jiralu from our local Asian grocery store. (It's about $1.50 for 100 grams.) Go light with the masala at first and add more as you get used to the spice level.

4. Dark chocolate with coconut oil and sliced almonds

This combination of coconut oil, almonds and chocolate give me the satisfaction of a decadent dessert without all the bad stuff.

It's so simple to prepare! I grab 1 or 2 squares of dark chocolate (85-90% cocoa and raw if possible), plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil for dipping, and top with 10 raw sliced almonds.

5. Roasted Brussels sprouts

For this you'll need:

• 1 bag Brussels sprouts
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Peel the outer leafs of the Brussels sprouts. Slice the Brussels sprouts in half and place them in a large Ziploc bag or container with all the other ingredients and shake.

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the Brussels sprouts flat side up on a baking dish. Place them in the oven for 15 min and then flip them over and bake for another 10 to 15 min.

Enjoy!

Let me know if you try any of these snacks ... I'd love to know what you think or what you'd change!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!