3 Tips To Move Toward Your Purpose When You're Stuck

When I was laid off from my corporate banking job, I had absolutely NO idea what I was going to do. Really. I didn't feel like I had any hidden talents, strengths, or certifications that I could jump right into another career. If you had told me then that I would become a business coach and yoga teacher, I wouldn't have believed you. But I did have a dream: To do something with meaning, to use what I was newly interested in (yoga, spirituality, wellness), and to have the freedom to live where I wanted in the world. That's all I knew in that moment.

When I set off to travel the world, everyone told me I needed to start a blog. They told me that my story was so amazing, from climbing the corporate ladder to spiritual girl on an entrepreneurial quest, that I had to write a book and inspire others. I agreed.

But years went by before I did anything. Why?

Fear. Who was I to think I had something big to share with the world? Who am I to write a book? I'm not a writer! I'm not qualified yet to share anything with anyone.

I hear from my clients day in and day out that they feel stuck. And I'm sure you can relate. You know what you want (kind of), but the days and years keep going by and you're not making it happen.

Why? Not because you're not good enough. I would argue the exact opposite: it's because you're scared.

You know what? Everybody's scared. The bloggers you follow, the most successful entrepreneurs, singers, artists, actors are all scared. Really.

The difference is they do it anyway.

So here are my three tips to getting past stuck and start taking action, even in the face of fear.

1. Take small consistent actions every day in pursuit of your big goal.

You have to get into motion. You need to create momentum. When you have even a little momentum behind you, it's like the wind is at your back pushing you along, and opportunities start to show up. Take those opportunities. Send that email, make that call, hire that web designer, write your story. Start today.

2. Join a mastermind group, hire a coach, spend more time with your teachers.

Many of us aspiring Do What You Love Entrepreneurs are surrounded by family, friends, and society in general who don't get it. They still believe in the traditional 9-5 job that's safe and secure. You don't, and that's a good thing. But taking steps in the direction of that dream can be really difficult when you don't feel supported and understood.

I can't say this enough: You need to surround yourself with people who get it, AND who are doing it!

And one of the biggest gifts you get from investing in yourself by joining powerful programs is accountability. You need to finish up every week with your homework done. You have someone to answer to, and you will get your stuff done.

3. Be a little nicer to yourself.

We all have that super-critical voice in our head that says things like, "Failure," "Not good/pretty/smart enough" and "Scaredy Cat." You have that now before you even start, and you'll have it later, almost every step of the way. I still have it. But I've learned to recognize that voice and not give it so much power. In other words, I don't adhere to it, and I counteract that thought with, "Yes, you can do it and you WILL."

You're exactly where you are for a reason, and you WILL do this!

The world is waiting for your gift. The time is now.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!