Mind-Blowing Mint-Chocolate Mousse
Just when I thought that chocolate avocado mousse couldn’t get any better, enter … mint! Wait — another raw chocolate mousse recipe? It’s no secret that cacao and avocado have been having a love affair for awhile now, but now it’s about to turn into a ménage-à-trois with a fresh new face, that of peppermint.
Peppermint is an amazing aid to digestion. It calms the stomach muscles and creates better bile flow, a key component to digestion of fats such as avocado. Peppermint also helps to calm colon spasms, relieve gas pains and decrease bloating.
Oh, and did I mention that it’s delicious? Just 1-2 drops of peppermint oil add an intense yet soothing flavor to herbal tea, desserts or even savory sauces or dressings. A little bit goes a long way, so easy does it. Make sure you buy good-quality peppermint oil, especially if you're ingesting it, and good-quality cacao powder is also a must.
Serves 1 chocoholic (or more than 1 average person)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 very generous tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/8 tsp. of vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
- 1/8 tsp. of cinnamon powder
- 1 Medjool date (soaked and pitted. For more detailed instructions, check out this article)
- ¼ cup of coconut water, almond milk or water
- A few sprigs of fresh mint leaves
- pinch of (Himalayan or sea) salt
Optional (but delicious!):
- 1 teaspoon of mesquite powder
- 1 teaspoon of carob powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
Add all ingredients to a Vitamix (preferable) or a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more liquid as needed. Top with some fresh mint leaves, cacao nibs and fresh fruit if you’re fancy!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.