Veganize That: Kabocha, Kale & Sage Risotto
Welcome back to Veganize THAT! Today we're making creamy, delicious, uber-warming creamy kabocha squash risotto. This recipe packs a punch with nutrition and great taste. Enjoy!
Kabocha, Kale & Sage Risotto Recipe (Gluten-free)
Serves: 2 to 4
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 cups kabocha squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 onion, diced
- 10 sage leaves, plus more for serving and to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice (or any grain of choice)
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Heat a little vegetable broth in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, 10 sage leaves, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining broth and bring to a boil; cover pot and transfer to the oven. Bake until barley is tender, 50 to 55 minutes.
3. Stir in kale, nutritional yeast, coconut oil, and a few extra torn sage leaves, if you like.
4. When thoroughly mixed plate, add a sage leaf or two for garnish and enjoy!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.