Welcome back to Veganize THAT! Today we're making creamy, delicious, uber-warming creamy kabocha squash risotto. This recipe packs a punch with nutrition and great taste. Enjoy!
Kabocha, Kale & Sage Risotto Recipe (Gluten-free)
Serves: 2 to 4
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 cups kabocha squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 onion, diced
- 10 sage leaves, plus more for serving and to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice (or any grain of choice)
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Heat a little vegetable broth in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, 10 sage leaves, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining broth and bring to a boil; cover pot and transfer to the oven. Bake until barley is tender, 50 to 55 minutes.
3. Stir in kale, nutritional yeast, coconut oil, and a few extra torn sage leaves, if you like.
4. When thoroughly mixed plate, add a sage leaf or two for garnish and enjoy!