Peppermint Bark Shortbread Bars (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
The holidays that would seem incomplete without some sort of peppermint treat. And these bars will not disappoint even those who don’t have any dietary restrictions.
Great to have on hand for pop-in guests or to give away as gifts, you are sure to make raving fans…that’s if you can stand to give them away!
Peppermint Bark Shortbread Bars (Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan)
Makes approximately 28 pieces
For the Crust
- 2 cups Brown rice flour (I love Authentic Foods' Superfine Brown Rice Flour for a less grainy bar)
- 6 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup refined coconut oil (melted)
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips (for allergy-friendly chocolate chips use “Enjoy Life” Brand)
- 1 ½ tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3-1/3 cup crushed all-natural peppermint candy
Preheat oven to 350º. Oil 12 x 9 pan with coconut oil.
In a medium bowl, combine the brown rice flour, coconut sugar and sea salt.In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine with coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla until well mixed.
With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture a little at a time, mix for 1 minute.
Spread the batter evenly into the 12 x 9 pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
While the bar is baking, in a double boiler, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil and stir until melted. Add in the peppermint extract. Once the bar comes out of the oven, spread evenly over the top of crust.
Sprinkle crushed all-natural peppermint candy onto top of chocolate. Let cool to room temperature then place in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
Once chocolate is hard, remove from refrigerator, bring to room temperature before cutting into bars.