3-Ingredient Red Sauce (Perfect For Any Occasion!)

3-Ingredient Red Sauce (Perfect For Any Occasion!) Hero Image

My sister is a culinary genius, and she just did it again. She keeps busy with an amazing career and two children, so she doesn’t always have time to slave in the kitchen (but trust me, when she does — amazing). She told me about this remarkably simple sauce over the holiday, and I couldn’t believe her. No salt? No garlic? Not even some extra virgin olive oil? Impossible.

Of course, I had to go home and try it immediately. The result? Divine. One of the best red sauces I’ve ever had. I kept it simple and served it over penne, but this sauce would be amazing over any pasta (gluten free or regular) or a delicious gnocchi (I’m going with truffle gnocchi next). Don’t be tempted to spice or season. Stay pure and get your socks knocked off, and even have extra time to enjoy good wine.

You’re welcome.

Ingredients:

• 1 28-oz can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes OR 3 1/2 cups of crushed fresh San Marzano tomatoes
  • 1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
  • 5 Tbsp unsalted European butter such as Plugra
  • *Romano/Parmesan and fresh basil (totally optional)

Directions:

ADVERTISEMENT

Place all ingredients into a pot and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour. Do NOT sautee the onions. They go in raw. Stir occasionally.

Remove onion before serving (feel free to dice up and add back into the sauce if you’re a huge onion fan, but it isn’t necessary).

Garnish with a Romano or parmesan cheese and basil if you’re feeling crazy. Enjoy your genius.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com