Gluten-Free Holiday Stuffing
Stuffing is one of the great treats of the holiday season, but as we know it’s loaded with insulin-spiking bread and inflammatory gluten. Here’s a delicious, easy to prepare recipe that gives you all the taste and comfort satisfaction of holiday stuffing, without all the negative weight and health consequences.
You can prepare this recipe on the stove top by following the instructions below, or simply fill your chicken or turkey with the uncooked ingredients, prior to roasting and it will cook beautifully. If you prepare the recipe using vegetable stock and coconut oil, then it’s also vegan. Enjoy your holiday meal!
Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. ghee or cold-pressed coconut oil
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 spring onions (scallions), cut finely
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into long thin strips
- 2 stalks celery, cubed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock (with no MSG, artificial colors or flavors)
- 2 large mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (pan roasted if you prefer a crunchier consistency)
- 1⁄2 tsp sage
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (approximately ½ tsp of each, for starters)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, to serve
Heat oil in frying pan on medium heat. Add onions, spring onions, fennel and celery. Stir for several minutes to coat vegetables in oil until lightly browned.
Add chicken or vegetable stock. Stir through and increase heat to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms, walnuts, sage, garlic and wine. Season as required with salt and pepper. Stir through and allow to simmer on low heat for another 10-15 minutes until liquid evaporates sufficiently to give it a nice consistency.
Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh parsley. Or, refrigerate and reheat when ready to serve.
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.