3 Tips To Get Moving When Your Workout Buddies Bail

3 Tips To Get Moving When Your Workout Buddies Bail Hero Image

How do you get yourself to go workout?

I could give you a hundred motivational quotes, but sadly they won't get you very far. No, I’m not going to recommend you find a workout buddy (she'll bail on you, and if she doesn’t, she just wants an excuse to talk you into fro-yo afterwards). But I am going to offer up a few realistic tips that may help you prioritize your workouts:

1. Sleep in your gym clothes.

I know this one may sound a little silly, but I’ve tried it before ... and it works. If you’re trying to get to the gym in the morning, it can be tempting to hit snooze and stay in your PJs just a little bit longer. There’s something about wearing your gym clothes that lets your mind and body know, Yup, we already decided that I’m going to the gym today. You’re wearing those gym clothes — might as well use them.

Plus, you can literally roll out of bed, grab your water bottle from the fridge and head out the door. And for those of you who are stuck in a chillier climate like me, the clothes are already warm. If you think the whole morning thing will be particularly difficult for you, see a roundup of tips here.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Lock it into your calendar.

My gym offers a variety of complimentary classes. But even when the class schedule was posted on my fridge, I’d walk past it without a second glance. And if I don’t know when the classes are, I’m not going to go.

Because the fridge posting wasn’t in-my-face enough, I picked out a handful of classes I knew I’d be able to attend. Then, I added them to my Google Calendar. This means they’re on my phone and my computer, which keeps them top of mind all day. Last meeting is over at 4:45. Total Bodyworks is at 6:15? Yeah, looks like I can make that.

If you don’t have the luxury of having complimentary classes, this tip can still work. Set a goal for yourself (for example: I want to work out for 45 minutes 4 days a week) and schedule your workouts ahead of time. It’s a lot harder to say, “Oh, I forgot about that work thing tonight. Looks like I’ll miss my workout” if you’re planning in advance.

3. Schedule your workouts around the TV shows you want to watch.

This tip works well for people who don’t have cable TV or who get bored on the treadmill after a short time. Back when I first started working out, I wasn’t confident about my strength training knowledge, and I had one simple goal: be able to run a 5K. This meant I spent plenty of time on the treadmill, which as many of you would agree, isn’t the most exciting thing on the planet.

Because I didn’t have cable at the time, I scheduled my workouts around TV I wanted to watch. For example, you could find me at the gym on Thursday nights watching Grey’s Anatomy, Sundays watching Say Yes to the Dress … Best of all, these and other shows kept me entertained for an hour. No more cutting out early because I was bored — I had the end of an episode to see!

While these tips may seem simple, that’s exactly the point. They’re easy little things you can incorporate right away to start prioritizing gym time. Do you have any other tips that work? Please share them in the comments!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More