Confession: I am a horror, zombie, vampire, apocalyptic and supernatural movie/TV show fanatic. My latest obsession is “The Walking Dead.” (Who else loves Darryl, Hershel and Rick?)

But I don't need media to show me a zombie apocalypse. I see it in real life: People are walking around nearly dead. Illness, obesity, pharmaceuticals, street drugs, toxins, depression, anxiety, a loss of connection, a lack of communication, and an abundance of negativity and hopelessness has taken over.

No, these things aren’t flesh-eaters that “turn” you into a dead “walker,” but they’re figuratively eating us alive, making life pretty gruesome. So, in case you don’t have a “Zombie Apocalypse Survival Plan,” I’ve created one for you. Implement what’s missing, and share it to help the rest of the world exterminate zombies. Let’s. Kick. Ass.

Here are some of your best DAILY defenses:

1. Get some sleep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many of us walk around looking like zombies because we’re sleep deprived. It’s like a game of who can stay awake the longest. In case you didn’t get the memo; sleeping isn’t just for lazy people. It’s for me. You. Everyone.

New game: the people who get 8 hours of pillow time every night wins.

Score!

2. Practice self-care.

Part of the reason we feel exhausted, sucked dry, and uninspired is that many of us are taking care of everyone else, but ourselves. Yikes! No one can take care of you better than you.

New plan: start and end your day with something that makes you feel good, pampered, energized, relaxed, or refreshed.

3. Invest in your relationships.

There are 7 billion people on the planet, yet sadly we aren’t genuinely connecting or communicating. Everyone hasn’t been eaten by Zombies, ya know? We’re surrounded by beauty and miracles, but refuse to participate in it.

This can be fixed and you’ve been chosen as the leader. Hooray! Deep, meaningful, sincere connections rock! Call and visit family members. Spend quality, uninterrupted time with your significant other. Have fun face-to-face time with friends or make new ones. Hug. Smile. Listen more than you talk. Get out in nature. Admire a bird. Hug a tree. Walk barefoot on the grass or sand. Sky gaze. Go kayaking.

4. Find meaningful work.

This isn’t like TV, where careers and money no longer matter because of the zombie devastation. Money needs to be earned. Money is spiritual. It’s an exchange of energy and normally represents proof of value creation. Since money matters, let’s earn it in a way we enjoy. Find work you love, or find a way to love the work you have. Even in a shitty economy, I firmly believe everyone can have work they enjoy. If it doesn’t exist, create it. There’s nothing worse than spending 8 hours (or more) per day doing work you absolutely hate with people you don’t like, or not having work at all if you want it.

5. Get moving!

Ever notice how stiff, un-coordinated, and ungraceful TV zombies are? That’s how some of us look. Why? Because we aren’t moving our bodies enough, are moving them wrong causing pain and injury or moving them in a way we hate. Couch potatoes, shake your booty. Hate the elliptical machine? Hate lifting weights? Stop. Anything that gets your body moving in a way you enjoy for at least 30 minutes per day is perfect

6. Zombie-proof your soul.

Many people are healthy physically, they may even be healthy mentally, but one of the biggest things I see that leaves a big zombie-bite sized gaping hole in health and happiness is people are dead spiritually. This has nothing to do with religion. It’s about connecting to something that helps you be your highest self. This is where inspiration, wisdom, manifestation, life purpose and true fulfillment comes from.

Spirituality gives you true life. If doubt, fear, worry, criticism, judgment or anger surface in your life most days, or if you feel alone, out of place or hopeless, this is a warning that you are unfulfilled spiritually. Journaling, affirmations, connection with nature, setting intentions, meditation, prayer, spiritual or metaphysical groups, energy work, yoga, gratitude, law of attraction or spiritual based programs, books, or websites are all a good place to get started.

7. Zombie proof your body.

This means discovering the foods and dietary lifestyle that works best for your unique body, dumping the bad stuff and creating a full, personalized wellness plan. Good rule of thumb for everyone: remove life hindering agents such as tobacco, drugs, pesticides, and other toxins. Drink more water, eat more plants (especially leafy greens!) drink less alcohol, eat less meat, sugar, dairy, caffeine, gluten, processed and nutritionally poor foods. Chew more. Eat with less distractions.

Now that you have your survival plan, sit down with your family and implement. As you know, prevention is the best medicine. Remember to share this. Friends don't let friends remain clueless around zombies.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More