6 Great Reasons To Give Plant-Based Eating A Try

6 Great Reasons To Give Plant-Based Eating A Try Hero Image

We're all busy people. I don’t know about you, but I'm always looking for ways to squeeze a few more tasks into each day. And between work, children, social lives and wanting to be healthy and free of disease, I'm in search of something to give me an edge, better ways to multitask, to “kill two birds with one stone,” and of course get the most bang for my buck. You with me?

I believe a plant-based diet boasts all of these benefits, and is one of the best ways you can eat for health over the long term.

Here are some things you can check off your list if you add more plants to your diet:

1. It gets you to a healthy weight without dieting.

With the exception of nuts, plant-based foods have less fat, more fiber and are on the low end of the calorie scale. They're also some of the most nutrient-dense foods, so you are getting some serious bang for your buck.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. It helps the environment.

The factory farming of animals is one of the major causes of pollution of our air and water sources. Even adding one meatless meal per week makes a big difference.

3. It promotes prevention and long-term vitality.

Plant-based foods are more alkaline, while animal products are highly acidic. An acidic condition actually breeds the bad guys: bacteria, yeast, fungi and disease. Disease cannot function in an oxygen-rich (aka alkaline) environment.

4. It boosts your immune system.

Deficiencies can leave us depleted and prone to sickness. Plant-based foods contain so many of the essential vitamins and minerals necessary to keep the body functioning optimally.

5. It's budget friendly.

If you're willing to plan for some cooking time, beans, legumes and whole grains are some of the most affordable whole foods we can buy.

6. It's great natural skin care.

Our skin is a direct reflection of what is going on inside our bodies. Feeding yourself those colorful, raw plant foods helps flood your cells with chlorophyll, plant enzymes, and phytonutrients, which will give your skin a natural glow.

A plant-based diet does not have to mean giving up animal protein completely, but I think we can agree that eating a variety of vegetables every day is great for our bodies. It's something that I know I could stand to do even more. How about you?

What would you add to this list?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More