I never planned on writing a best-selling book. In fact, I never planned on being a writer. As a feng shui expert, my passion is to help people live happier, healthier, more inspired lives. So, in combination with feng shui consulting and teaching, I figured the best way to help a lot of people is to write a book.

Since I’m constantly asked how I came to write Feng Shui Your Life, I want to share tips that may help jump start your own writing journey. Synchronicity and luck played a big part in getting my book deal, but writing it took hard work. Along the whole way, I implemented good feng shui and the manifestation techniques from my book. If it worked for me, it can work for you too!

1. Identify your passion and recognize you are unique.

You must be passionate about your subject so you’ll have the energy and persistence to keep writing. Let’s face it: Writing isn't easy so you must have the driving force within you to complete your book. Once you're passionate, you’ll notice how many other people and authors are also passionate about the same subject. It’s OK. You Are Unique. No one has had the same life experience as you have. You will share the information in your distinct way. Try to re-frame any negative thoughts.

2. Find inspiration and do your research.

ADVERTISEMENT

Most subjects have been written about already, so it’s important to read inspiring and uninspiring books on your subject. It’s essential for your book to have a unique angle. Find your niche. In 2001, when I began writing my first book, I looked at what had been written on the subject and decided my book was going to be holistic, approach feng shui as a lifestyle, and be a beautiful interior design book as well. There was nothing like it. Like me, you can make a manifestation board for your book project and look at it every day.

3. Create a ritual, schedule and deadlines.

To get yourself in the writing mood, create a ritual (make tea, light a candle, go to a coffeehouse etc) and do that each time you write. You also must make a writing schedule. If you’re a morning person, begin first thing. If you’re working full-time, write at night or on weekends. Deadlines keep you on your schedule. Whether I have a self-imposed deadline or one from my publisher, I’m more apt to get it done on time.

4. Pray, meditate, and walk.

Before I write, I say a specific prayer, ask for guidance, and invoke divine blessings. I silently ask to be a channel or vehicle for this information to come through me easily. You can also find a meditation that works for you. Meditation helps to clear ‘mind clutter’ to invite a positive flow of creative energy. In between writing sessions, I take walks on the beach. Walking in nature is healing and many times, great ideas come when you’re not at your desk. Bring a voice recorder or small notepad.

5. Write in data dump form.

To minimize writer’s block and the need for what you create to “be perfect,” dump the pertinent information on the page. At this point, your rule is that it should be ‘the worst grammar and writing" you’ve ever composed. Seriously, this technique saved me. I just dumped the data in no particular order and once it was out, I could re-formulate and re-order it. I highly recommend reading Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art for effective ways to deal with creative resistance. Also, make sure you have cleared clutter and created good feng shui in your writing space.

6. Create an outline.

When writing a non-fiction book, a detailed outline is essential. Forget about being “creative” at this moment. Think about: (a) what the reader needs to know and (b) in what order he needs to know it to fully comprehend the subject and put it into practice. Write the outline like you did in school. (1, a, i, etc). It looks like a dry text book at this point but don’t worry, it won’t turn out that way.

7. Infuse your personality into writing your book.

Using your outline, now you can infuse your personality into writing each paragraph. When I’m feng shui consulting, I’m friendly, practical, and uplifting, and that “you can do it” energy came through in my writing style. Write in a way that’s easy for your audience to understand. (You must know your demographic!) Remember to give yourself a treat for every personal milestone you reach.

Bonus Tip: At the end of your meditation each day, envision your book on the shelf at your favorite bookstore.

Sending you blessings for a meaningful writing experience and loads of synchronicity along the way!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More