I love being inspired by seasonal veggies at the market, so typically, I don’t really have a plan when grocery shopping, I just pick up whatever looks delicious. When dinner time comes, I like to look at what I have in the kitchen, and be inspired by those ingredients. There is something really awesome about being able to take what ever you have got, and turn it into a delicious meal!
Here is one such recipe, but feel free to substitute anything that you currently have in your kitchen – go with the flow! Cooking is yoga, and yoga is cooking. (Ha!)
- 14.5 ounces tomatoes, diced (or canned)
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 5 to 10 basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- minced vegetable broth, as needed, about 1 cup
- 1 to 2 heads broccoli, chopped
- 6 olives
- 7 ounces hummus of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil water, and prepare pasta of choice according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
2. On medium high heat, sauté eggplant in a thin layer of vegetable broth in a large pot 5 to 7 minutes adding a dash of salt. Add broccoli, onion, peppers and garlic, plus more vegetable broth as it cooks down (enough to always have a small covering of pot), and sauté for 5 minutes, or until onions and peppers are slightly translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, olives, and basil to mixture, and stir until heated through on medium heat, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add pasta to the vegetable mixture, stir in until well mixed. Then, add hummus, salt & pepper to taste, and stir until well mixed.
5. To plate, top with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com