During childhood, my mom took me to the library or bookstore every single week. As I read, I always saw symbolism and deeper meaning in the text, even in childish fairytales. I always pretended words were actually magic fairy dust being sprinkled to add love, laughter, wisdom, fun or purpose to my life. Even as an adult, I feel that way.
Quotes in particular have served as a means for my personal evolution. Here's a few I hope fill your life with inspiration.
1. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us." - Marianne Williamson
Many of us sabotage success by wrongly telling ourselves we aren't good enough, worthy or capable. We're surrounded by potential world changers, too afraid of the task because it means being authentic, speaking truths hard to hear, or being criticized. Most importantly, many of us are afraid that being the light makes others' lives go dark. We feel guilty for becoming the best version of ourselves.The truth is, it's only by being the light that our existence serves others. When we grow or achieve our goals, we empower others to do the same.
2. "Everything is figureoutable." - Marie Forleo
Every problem has a solution. Books are coaches, nature provide remedies, Google is our assistant and YouTube is an on-demand visual demonstration. There are also 7 billion wise people on the planet, who we can connect with by going out, picking up the phone or reaching out to on social media. When people or the internet can't help, prayer and meditation birth clarity, direction and inspired actions.
3. "Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." - Wayne Dyer
When you do things you love — whether it's work, fun activities, or spending time with people you love — you attract more of that into your life. Remember, the reverse is also true.
4. "Don't let anyone tell you that daydreaming is a waste of time: the only people who would dare tell you that are people without any vision." - Susan Miller
How else can you identify what you truly want to have, be or contribute to the world? Everything starts with a thought, a vision and a self-manufactured plan.
5. "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears." - Native American proverb
If we never experienced sadness or pain, how could we possibly appreciate joy or pleasure? This quote reminds me that every storm has sunshine at the end.
6. "My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
This quote is about taking risks. Each thing we experience in life makes us stronger, wiser, and gets us one step closer to fulfilling our purpose.
7. "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes." - William Gibson
There have been countless times I've felt like shit simply because of the people I was spending my time with. These so-called friends just used me as dumping grounds for their problems. Of course I was depressed. I felt bad about myself, because I was often around people who loved to criticize. Find people who love, accept and celebrate you. Instant. Happiness. Boost.
8. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” - Michael Jordan
Sometimes you'll have to disappoint yourself or others. However, with each ounce of effort, each courageous step forward and persistence we can achieve what we set out to do. Never give up.
9. “If you take away a person’s struggle, you take away their victory. It’s like pulling a caterpillar out of it’s cocoon before it’s time. It will never develop into a butterfly.” - Cameron C. Taylor
As a recovering co-dependent, I've always taken on responsibilities that weren't my own. I thought I was helping, when in reality I disempowered myself and made those folks feel like I thought they were incapable.
10. “If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.” - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
This reminds me to stop playing small. We weren't put on this earth to be average or good. We were put here to be great. Set your intentions and goals really high, to stretch yourself to growth. Every monumental success was seemingly impossible at one point.
In the comments below, tell me a quote that keeps you inspired.