Several years ago, I left my successful career in advertising to follow my heart and become a writer. Although I left the corporate world behind, my desire to make a difference and express myself creatively never changed. Over time, I found a place for all my advertising knowledge, and that place is with college students, in a classroom.
Because I teach from personal experience rather than formal training, my teaching style is untraditional, creative and completely upside down compared to traditional textbook academia. I push my students to experiment, to take big risks and to put their heart fully into their work. At some point in the term, I usually decide that the textbook is slowing us down, and that we'll opt for creative exploration and life adventures.
The reality is that most of what we learn in life doesn't come from textbooks, or even a classroom. Once a term, I pick a day to send my students home early, but with condition that they must play. When they report back to the next class, the results are always astounding. They're enthusiastic, pumped up, passionate and focused on their work. Their ideas are more fleshed out, and they have more confidence as they present their homework.
I'm now applying this same approach to my own business as a life coach, freelance writer and designer, and I’ve found my business has expanded in beautiful ways. By adding more play into my day, I'm more fulfilled and focused on my clients. These results led me to think more about the traditional school structure, and why most students are destination focused, looking only towards graduation, but aren't fully engaged in the journey.
Is it the school system that's outdated and overrated, or the way we teach our children? Either way, when I sit with my students and see their eyes light up because they grasp a new concept or had a breakthrough on a tough topic, my heart is full.
That's why I created this list, which I hand to my students at the start of each new term. This is a master list of 20 rules to fully love your life and your career. It could also be called…
20 Things You Won't Learn in School
1. You cannot influence the world by trying to be like it.
2. Wisdom comes from life experience, not textbooks.
3. Imagination is more valuable than knowledge.
4. Do the opposite of what you are taught in school.
5. Put yourself wholeheartedly into everything you do.
6. You can train your brain to see the good in everybody and everything.
7. Never doubt your instincts.
8. The more you play, the better your work will be.
9. People will forget what you say, but they'll never forget how you make them feel.
10. Question everything, and settle for nothing.
11. Don't make excuses or complain; it keeps you from accessing your true potential.
12. If you feel stuck, ask for help.
13. It's never too late to start over.
14. Don't be attached to anything.
15. If you believe you can, you will.
16. Trust the process.
17. You are right where you need to be.
18. Your focus determines your reality.
19. The magic happens outside of your comfort zone; go there daily.
20. There is no destination; the journey is the reward.
For your own FREE guide on loving life to the fullest click here.