Traveling is awesome, but it can also take a major toll on your body if you’re not careful. Many of us get so caught up in the excitement of visiting new places that we forget to prepare ourselves for the elements that can make travelling a health burden – inability to find clean food, being stuck on an airplane for hours, horrendously unnatural airplane food, out-of-whack digestion, and jet lag.

However, with some prep and mindfulness, it’s easy to give your body the support it needs to cope with all of this. Here are some of my favorite tips for travelling like a wellness warrior.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE

1. Prepare food for your flight.

There’s absolutely no way I'd torture my body by subjecting it to the highly processed meals they treat serve onboard, and I get super grumpy when I’m hungry, so I need to make sure I have sufficient food to get me through. I usually pack a cooler bag with quinoa and salad (with little bottles of apple cider vinegar and flaxseed oil for dressing), chia pudding, activated nuts, apples, celery sticks, almond butter (to spread on the apples and celery sticks), superfood bars, and some kind of sweet treat like cacao balls or oatmeal cookies.

ADVERTISEMENT

So many people are unaware that you can take food on the plane, but I assure you that you can. You just can’t take liquids over 100ml, and most of the time you can’t take fruit off the plane so you have to eat it on board. I was almost fined $500 for bringing two apples off the plane from LA into Oz last year. You also can’t take fruit from Hawaii into the US mainland. We thought we would get a heap of yummy organic fruit to eat on the plane for breakfast when we made that trip, only to find out that we had to eat it ALL before passing through security. I’ve never eaten so many grapes, raspberries and blueberries so fast in my life.

2. Suss out healthy foods in your destination.

Before I travel anywhere, I do a heap of research into organic cafes, restaurants and supermarkets in the area I’m visiting. A quick Google search will usually come up with the goods. Just type in “organic food in [insert destination]” or “organic juice in [insert destination]”.

A shout out on social media helps, too. Ask your friends and followers to give you ideas for organic eating in the area you’re visiting. I’ve not had any issues finding organic food in the places I’ve been to recently (LA, New York, Bali & Hawaii) but I’ve been told that parts of Europe are a little trickier.

I haven’t spent time researching this yet, but If I know that I won’t be able to get organic food, I’m so committed to eating organic that I probably wouldn’t go to that part of the world. If I can’t have access to fresh high vibrational food and juices I know I won’t enjoy my holiday as much. This is a personal decision though, and not everyone wants or needs to be this strict. So, if you go somewhere and you can’t find ANY organic food, I’d recommend just rolling with it, doing your best, and not beating yourself up for it.

3. Book accommodation that supports these goals.

I try to find places to stay that are near to organic food. I also make sure I find a place with a kitchen so that I can make food. Air Bnb is great for booking affordable apartments with fully stocked kitchens.

4. Be choosy about your travel companion.

There’s nothing worse than travelling with someone who rolls their eyes and belittles you for caring so much about being healthy. Travel with someone who respects your choices.

5. Opt out of TSA body scanners.

In the US (I’ve never come across them in Australia yet), airport security feeds travellers through a naked body scanner. These machines subject our bodies to high doses of ionizing radiation. Of course, we’re told that these machines are safe, but then we’re also told that mammograms are safe. Never mind the FACT that radiation causes cancer.

We do have the choice to opt out of these scanners though, and instead we can receive a “pat down” by security. I do this every time I encounter one of these machines. It takes a little longer and you do get felt up by a stranger, but I’d much rather that than subject my body to extra radiation.

I also have a jumper that I wear that is supposed to protect me from EMFs while I’m at the airport and on the plane. It was given to me as a gift and it’s super pricey, but there are other options on the market like EMF protection blankets. I’ve not used these, but I’ve heard that they help. Give them a Google to check out the options if this interests you.

IN THE AIR

6. Stay hydrated.

Flying is super-dehydrating, so make sure you drink plenty of water during the flight. I take a stainless steel water bottle with me and ask the flight attendants to fill it up with purified water for me so that I don’t have to be content with the tiny cups they offer.

7. Get up and move.

Sitting in a cramped seat for hours on end is terrible for your body and circulation. Get up and move and stretch your body out as much as possible. You could even find some space and do a few yoga poses.

8. Keep comfortable.

Have you ever noticed that airplanes are freezing? You will usually be given a blanket on board, but I also like to pack thick socks, a jumper and a scarf in case I need extra warmth.

9. Pack your essential oils and breathe 'em in.

Because the air quality is so crap, I pack some of my favourite essential oils to sniff. Lavender is great for calming your body and mind, but my favorites are DoTERRA’s Breathe and DigestZen blends.

10. Sleep.

I pack valerian root tablets and knock back several of them to lull my body into a slumber. I’m not great at sleeping on planes, but this definitely helps. I’m not a fan of sleeping pills, but valerian root is completely natural and doesn’t leave you feeling drowsy when you wake.

WHEN YOU LAND

11. Ground yourself

You’ve just been flying way above the earth, you’ve been subjected to radiation, and your body is out of whack. One of the best ways to sort it out is to walk barefoot on the earth or sand to ground yourself again. The first chance you get, take off your shoes and plant your feet into the ground.

12. Get your circulation pumping!

Flying is terrible for your circulation, and many people find that their ankles will swell while they’re in the air. For me, it’s my left arm. My circulation struggles when I’m land due to my lymphedema, so when I fly my arm swells even more. I do what I can when I’m in the air to stimulate the flow by massaging my arm, but when I land I give it a lot of attention. Get a massage, use a dry body brush, stretch, and just move your body after being stagnant for so long. Yoga poses are also great for circulation, particularly inversions (poses where your legs are inverted in the air and above your heart).

13. Hydrate.

As I mentioned earlier, flying is dehydrating. So when you land, re-hydrate! Drink coconut water, fresh juices (with cucumber for extra points), smoothies and water. Aloe vera and chia are also great hydrating additives.

14. Detox.

Airports and airplanes expose us to high levels of radiation, so when you’re back on land, it’s a good idea to do what you can do eliminate some of it. I do coffee enemas, take chlorella tablets, drink edible clay, and drink water with a few drops of Lugol’s iodine to help rid my body of the toxins.

15. Move Your bowels.

I don’t know about you, but my bowels get out of whack when I travel. I don’t ever go a day without going to the toilet, though, so I take my enema kit with me and do an enema when I land. Peppermint tea, chia seeds, and digestive enzymes will also help to get things moving down there.

It might sound like a lot, but it’s not that much of a hassle to do all of this and ensure that your body is kept happy while you’re gallivanting around the world. Plus, when you feel good, you’re much more likely to have a better trip!

Do you have any good healthy travelling tips that I missed? Share them with us in the comments below.

Explore More