9 Healthy & Affordable Snacks For The Road

Taking a long car trip can wreak havoc on your diet. If you don't plan ahead, it's likely you'll spend a day living on fast food, candy bars, bags of chips and soda. That kind of day in a car can leave you feeling lethargic! Instead of fueling your body with chemicals, sugar and junk, do a little planning before you head out the door. Pack up healthy snacks instead! Believe me, your body and mood will thank you!

One thing to keep in mind is to keep yourself hydrated. Take a refillable water bottle with you on your trip and continually sip from it throughout the day. Hopefully you're drinking water regularly at home too, so carrying around a water bottle with you won't be a new habit!

Pack a cooler for refrigerated snacks and one for non-refrigerated. It's also a good idea to throw in some napkins, wet wipes and utensils while you are at it! Here are my very favorite healthy road foods:

1. Washed fresh fruit: Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes are good places to start. 

2. Make your own trail mix: Nuts, dried fruit, seeds (sunflower, chia, flax), dark chocolate chips combined provide a perfect boost of deliciousness and energy.

3. Healthy energy bars: My favorite bars are KIND Bars because they're made from wholesome ingredients you can actually see and pronounce, like whole nuts, fruits and spices. Not only are all of their bars delicious, but they are a good source of essential nutrients like fiber, protein and antioxidants (to name a few!).

4. String cheese: Get a natural brand!

5. Yogurt: I like the Greek yogurt varieties.

6. Homemade popcorn: Wrap them in individual baggies and hit the road.

7. Sandwiches: Make them with lean luncheon meats and low-fat cheese or hummus and fresh spinach. You can make a healthy, organic peanut butter and jelly for the kids.

8. Cleaned and sliced raw vegetables: Carrots, red peppers, broccoli and celery are all delicious options, but feel free to explore.

9. Snack packs of peanut butter or guacamole for dipping: My favorite is Wholly Guacamole. Individual, all-natural packs of guacamole that travel well and are great for dipping in veggies and healthy chips.

There are so many great choices my biggest challenge is not bringing too much food! Just keep in mind, that even if you're driving all day, you only need the same number of snacks as you normally would eat, as long as you're going to eat regular meals, too. Pack up and enjoy!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!