5 Ways to Maximize What’s Left of Summer

Summer has always been my favorite time of year. My mood is very sensitive to the weather, and growing up in Massachusetts, you can imagine I had some seriously sad days during endless bouts of rain and snow and cold and darkness.

And weather aside—let’s be honest—everyone loves summer because it’s SUMMER. What I don’t love is how our materialistic world decides to cancel summer at the end of July. All the catalogs I get in the mail are fall previews. Every store I go in, from the market to the pharmacy to the department store—it’s all about BACK TO SCHOOL.

I’m almost positive there isn’t a single person excited about going back to school while it’s still July. It brings me down, and I haven’t been a student for over 10 years.

So here’s what I’m planning to do to milk what’s left of summer. It’s also a good lesson in just taking pause on every day life, which goes by way too fast.

1. Take a staycation.

Not everyone is lucky enough to go away on vacation every year. I've been fortunate enough to have traveled every summer for the past few years – but this year, it didn’t work out for me to plan a getaway. So, I’m taking a few days off work to just be at home, and maximize my local environment. Whether you live in a big city or small town, I guarantee there’s something out there you have yet to see or do.

2. Throw your fall preview catalogs in the recycle bin.

Marketing is a strange thing. I’m still waiting for the right moment to rock my new bikini this summer – and I’m certainly not thinking about buying flannel sheets. Don’t even open the catalogs. You don’t need to see Halloween decorations yet.

3. Save your to-do list for a rainy day.

Summer only comes once a year. Take advantage of a day of fabulous weather and give yourself permission to put off picking up the dry cleaning and tackling the closet until another day.

4. Get outside.

Take a walk. Ride your bike. Lay on the grass in a park. Get some vitamin D! However you need to – just do it. If it’s just for an hour on your lunch break, it’s worth it.

5. Do something special for YOU.

This is key especially if you can’t actually go away and take a real vacation. Get a massage or a facial. Turn your phone off, close your laptop, and read a book. Go to a movie. Check out for a few hours and let whatever you are doing be about pure, 100% joy.

The bottom line is—we all just go-go-go week to week. It’s why summer totally flies by. We have all these ideas of what we want to do when summer begins and before you know it, it’s Labor Day. So get out there, have some fun, and really enjoy this amazing time of year. There’s plenty of time come late September to assess Thanksgiving dinner.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!