How To Get Over A Layoff & Get A Better Job
You’ve just been let go, and it stinks. You were loyal and you believed in your talents. Now you feel rejected and unappreciated.
A part of you feels free, but you also feel embarrassment, shame, and confused about who you are outside of this job.
You’re not alone. Many have been laid off (including yours truly) and it stinks. However, Life is NOT constant. Your struggles won't last forever and you’ll be able to move on. I was able to do it, and so can you.
5 simple tips to move forward after you've been let go:
1. Talk about your feelings to someone you trust or to your coach or therapist.
2. Know that it’s OK if you messed up in your job. Learn from your mistakes.
3. Give yourself more love and surround yourself with nurturing people.
4. Make a pointed effort to go have fun - take a break! This is your chance to rejuvenate and find a new you.
5. Meditate for at least 10 minutes a day and sweat it off through yoga or jogging or whatever works for you. This will help alleviate your anxiety and bring you back to the present.
Challenges are part of life but your perception about these experiences is what matters most. So, the sooner you snap out of this victim mentality, the faster you can heal.
7 simple tips to land a better job:
1. Remember that it’s OK to ask for help, people love to feel needed.
2. You have unlimited choices now. So, it’s time to decide whether you want to continue on your career path or change it. Either way the next steps are useful for both scenarios.
3. Identify the ideal job environment you’d like to be in.
4. Find your mission in life and use it as part of your next job. Think about how your career is changing other people’s lives. It’s really important to recognize how you’re contributing to the world.
5. Reflect your personality, strengths and passion in your resume or portfolio. Keep it related to the job you’re applying for.
6. Be truthful about what you want. When you’re honest, people will feel safer, valued, and more comfortable around you. This is the KEY to feeling appreciated, happy and successful in your job.
7. Don’t sell yourself for cheap! Before you take a job, get to know the company culture and values from the inside-out. Be curious about them and see if they’re aligned with your values and needs.
Remember that life has unlimited choices and you could turn your experiences into great positive opportunities. Now the ball is in your court!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.