Having learned countless dietary theories in my nutrition schooling, one thing I'm sure of is this: starting off your meals with fruits and vegetables is the way to go. Incorporating alkaline foods into your daily life will boost your metabolism immensely, providing you with ample nutrients, enzymes, and fiber to increase your energy and heal your body.  

Not only that, by eating alkaline foods first, in the mornings and at the beginning of every meal, we can crowd out other foods that do not serve us by eating the foods that do. (If you'd like to learn more, a great resource is The ph Miracle, which helped me understand and integrate alkalinity into my diet and changed my perspective on overall health.) 

We can increase the percentage of alkaline foods by choosing to eat them first, and never skipping out on them when we have the chance. Alkaline foods are water-filled, and fiber-laden, making them wonderful additions to your diet.  

As a general rule, stick to these 4 food groups and you'll be on your way to alkalinity:

1. Eat your fruits. 

Make sure to eat ripe fruits. This is the way nature intends for them to be eaten, and they taste better that way!

Examples: apple, papaya, cantaloupe, sweet grapes, currants, dates, apricots, raisins, pineapple, watermelon, lemons

2. Eat your greens. 

As a rule of thumb, get some greens at every meal! They're best eaten raw, for they keep most of their alkalinity in their uncooked state. Salads are always a wonderful and delicious option. 

Examples: kale, collard greens, arugula, romaine, chicory, parsley, cilantro, watercress, seaweeds

3. Eat your sprouts. 

Sprouts are chock full of enzymes and nutrients, and a wonderful way to add crunch to your meals. Make sure to wash your sprouts, but feel free to add them into salads, sandwiches, and such

Examples: sunflower sprouts, alfalfa sprouts

4. Eat your vegetables. 

Aim to eat a vegetable at every meal, but make sure to moderate the number of starchy varieties, and load up on water-laden vegetables to get your alkaline fix. 

Examples: carrots, celery sticks, cucumber, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, asparagus

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Explore More