Let's Take A Moment To Celebrate Nutritional Yeast!
I recently shared a loft with a bunch of fellow yogis and yoginis for Wanderlust, and it came to my attention that some people are still not sold on (or even aware of!) nutritional yeast. I use nutritional yeast every single day; I love it that much. So what's so special about the "cheezy" wonder yeast that nearly all vegans go bonkers for? Where to begin?
Let's cut to the chase and break it down to the most important facts, shall we?
- Just two teaspoons of nutritional yeast provide a whole day's worth of recommended B12 for the average adult. The vitamin B12 in the kind I buy occurs via natural fermentation, rather than from a synthetic process or animal source.
- In two heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast, there are 8 grams of protein.
- In those two heaping tablespoons are also 4 grams of fiber and 4% of the RDI for iron.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals.
- The cheesy, nutty, delicious flavor, of course!
Not only does nutritional yeast boast an impressive nutritional profile, but it's also delicious. A few of the ways I most frequently use it are:
Sprinkled over quinoa, black beans, brown rice, veggies, and the like.
As part of salad dressing. I always make my own. A favorite blend:
- 1-2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. reduced sodium tamari
- juice of half a lemon
- apple cider vinegar
- raw garlic or garlic powder
Over kale, any way (raw, steamed, bruised, baked, any way you give it to me).
Sprinkled over a baked or steamed hannah yam with tahini, lemon juice and fresh garlic (topped with kale, obviously).
I'm excited to soon take a stab at an adapted vegan mac 'n' cheese recipe, and am rather surprised I haven't already. Anyone else have some good nutritional yeast recipes? Please do share with the class; we are, after all, always students of the Universe.
Happy cheesy day to you!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.