I recently shared a loft with a bunch of fellow yogis and yoginis for Wanderlust, and it came to my attention that some people are still not sold on (or even aware of!) nutritional yeast. I use nutritional yeast every single day; I love it that much. So what's so special about the "cheezy" wonder yeast that nearly all vegans go bonkers for? Where to begin?
Let's cut to the chase and break it down to the most important facts, shall we?
- Just two teaspoons of nutritional yeast provide a whole day's worth of recommended B12 for the average adult. The vitamin B12 in the kind I buy occurs via natural fermentation, rather than from a synthetic process or animal source.
- In two heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast, there are 8 grams of protein.
- In those two heaping tablespoons are also 4 grams of fiber and 4% of the RDI for iron.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals.
- The cheesy, nutty, delicious flavor, of course!
- 1-2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. reduced sodium tamari
- juice of half a lemon
- apple cider vinegar
- raw garlic or garlic powder
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com