5 Tricks To Stay Healthy When You've Got No Time

5 Tricks To Stay Healthy When You've Got No Time Hero Image
As a nutrition coach, I hear excuses all of the time about why people are too busy to make healthy choices, and I want to share with you just how easy it can be to stay healthy – even when you've genuinely have no time.

I know what it's like! I used to wear my busy-ness as a badge of honor, regularly logging 14-hour days in the corporate world. I was determined to find a way to be healthy without slowing down and running away from the world – and along the way, I learned a few tricks. 

Here are my top 5 top tips for getting health rich even if you're time poor: 

1. Plan what you'll eat. (Total time: 5 minutes)

Busy people sometimes find themselves stressed out due to worry — worrying about how well they’re going to eat today or how much they will exercise tonight. The constant mind chatter is the quickest anxiety inducer and drains our energy quick smart.

The most important thing to do is plan ahead, so you know what you’ll be eating for each meal (this includes breakfast, lunch and snacks — be realistic — you probably WILL want snacks come 3pm no matter how strong your will power). Buy all of your food in the weekend and pre-prepare as much as you can for the week ahead. 

2. Type a gratitude list into your phone. (Total time: 1 minute)

It's impossible to feel angry, sad or depressed at the same time that you feel grateful. One of the best ways to reset your system after a challenging is to rewire your brain back to the positive. The more you practice being grateful, the more you'll find things in your life to be grateful for. Get in the habit of typing five things you're grateful for on your way to work and watch your day flow with positivity.

3. Add something green to your plate (Total time: 30 seconds)

You’ve been hearing it since you were a kid, but green veggies remain the most health-packed food available. Nutritionally speaking, greens are crammed with almost every vitamin and mineral we need. They are very alkalizing on our blood and cleansing to our entire system. The trick is to get creative and ADD greens wherever you can:
  • Green juice instead of coffee
  • Celery and cucumber sticks with guacamole as a snack
  • A side salad with your lunch
  • Super green powder added to your water
4. Take a vitamin D break. (Total time: 5 minutes)

Vitamin D helps prevent osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer and breast cancer, and even affects diabetes and obesity.
Stress and the resulting high-cortisol levels can deplete the body of vitamin D however, so when you're living a busy life, it is even more important to boost your levels of vitamin D.

Just spending a few minutes of your lunch hour feeling the warm sun on your face can also really help to lift your spirits. This is a small investment of time to give you so many wonderful benefits!

5. Put a plant on your desk. (Total time: 30 seconds)

Indoor air pollution and low humidity are now ranked as one of the top five threats to public health. In many offices, the air we breathe is constantly bombarded with toxins from a variety of sources, including carpets, furniture, office cleaning products, computers, printers and photocopiers. Having a plant on your desk is the most effective way to purify the air around you. Plants also reduce stress, improve concentration, improve productivity and reduce dust pollution.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Explore More