3 Questions To Ask The Next Time You Doubt Yourself

3 Questions To Ask The Next Time You Doubt Yourself Hero Image
About 90% of the time, I am solid, clear and resilient.

Then there’s the other 10%, when doubt comes crashing in. As an entrepreneur of a new, growing business, I spent the weekend questioning whether or not my strategy was viable and if I have what it takes.

Should I continue to focus on the positive – which for my business is helping people to increase their joy, energy and satisfaction, with the 360 integration of nutrition, mindfulness and coaching? Or is it better to be the solution to a problem – and follow conventional wisdom in professional services? 

Meh.

First of all, I have to pause, take a deep breath and not rush to make sweeping changes. No matter what the outcome, it will be OK. If it does not go as hoped, I’ll learn something. Then I ask 3 questions:

1. Do I have enough information, or am I operating off assumptions and fears that may not be reality?

Until I do, I really don't know the situation. Until then, I need to keep doing the research and having the conversations. And here’s the key: approach it with openness. What I thought might not be the whole story.

In this case, I check out common search terms and the competition. Both support the conventional wisdom. Then I ask a few colleagues and potential clients. Resoundingly, the feedback is: we want the solution.

2. Am I being honest about my feelings and accepting myself for having them, no matter what they are? 

Often I judge feelings or actions I don't like as wrong. 

Here, the feeling is fear of failure. As long as I push the fear away, it rages. When I accept it as a valid concern that I'd be crazy for NOT having, it shrinks and becomes just one part of the picture, not the whole picture. Funny how quickly that happens.

To let go of judgment, I put one hand on my heart and say: “I accept you. Whatever I feel, it's OK.”

3. What's my ideal outcome? 

Reconnecting with my intention allows me to step out of a reactive space and into a visionary space. From there, it’s easy to reverse engineer what I need to do and more importantly who I need to be to foster this outcome.

My ideal outcome is to build what I believe in and to be the catalyst for women and men to feel amazing and satisfied. This is what inspires me and what I do best.

Now the way forward is clear: stay the course, have faith and find clients who will be overjoyed to find this 360 approach.

Much better.  

(These 3 questions work in relationships too! Everything is interconnected.) 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Explore More