3 Healthy Summer Snacks Made with Fruit

I love to entertain all year round, but especially in the summer. One of my favorite ways to serve food to guests is buffet style, where I make an assortment of snacks and appetizers that people can help themselves to informally. In the summer I have to get a little more creative since it's not practical to have the oven on all day for preparation. Here are a few of my favorite fresh, healthy, and most importantly tasty, no-heat ideas for summer snacks that highlight some of summer's best ingredients.

Mangoes

Mango Salsa: Combine 1 chopped mango, 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper, 1 finely chopped red bell pepper, and 1 chopped green onion, toss in 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, let sit for 1 hour and serve with tortilla chips.

Tomatoes

Bruschetta: This tastes best when made the night before and allowed to set in the fridge, letting all of the flavors release and combine. Chop and combine 4 tomatoes and 1 red onion, add 2 tablespoons of basil pesto, some additional chopped garlic to taste, and a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Serve with fresh bread.

Watermelon

Watermelon Salad: Combine half of a watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes and half of a chopped English cucumber. Add chopped fresh mint leaves, and crumbled feta to taste, toss in 2 tablespoons of lime juice. This can be served immediately.

Related Posts

Sites We Love

Unlock The Healing Power Of Food

Sign up for FREE access to mindbodygreen's Functional Nutrition Webinar to learn how food can be a pathway to optimal health & wellbeing.

Your article and new folder have been saved!