3 Healthy Summer Snacks Made with Fruit

I love to entertain all year round, but especially in the summer. One of my favorite ways to serve food to guests is buffet style, where I make an assortment of snacks and appetizers that people can help themselves to informally. In the summer I have to get a little more creative since it's not practical to have the oven on all day for preparation. Here are a few of my favorite fresh, healthy, and most importantly tasty, no-heat ideas for summer snacks that highlight some of summer's best ingredients.

Mango Salsa: Combine 1 chopped mango, 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper, 1 finely chopped red bell pepper, and 1 chopped green onion, toss in 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, let sit for 1 hour and serve with tortilla chips

Bruschetta: This tastes best when made the night before and allowed to set in the fridge, letting all of the flavors release and combine. Chop and combine 4 tomatoes and 1 red onion, add 2 tablespoons of basil pesto, some additional chopped garlic to taste, and a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Serve with fresh bread.

Watermelon Salad: Combine half of a watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes and half of a chopped English cucumber. Add chopped fresh mint leaves, and crumbled feta to taste, toss in 2 tablespoons of lime juice. This can be served immediately.

mangoes image via zeetzjones/flickr

tomatoes image via laobserved

watermelon image via dx.dealextreme/flickr

This post was written by Natalie Feldman

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!