Are You Getting Enough Good Fat?
Has this ever happened to you? Within minutes of eating a strict non-fat meal, you’re craving ice cream, cookies, chips, or pizza.
You needed more good fats in your diet!
Why eat fat?
Fat has gotten a bad rap. We’re often taught that eating too much fatty food is the main cause of the obesity epidemic. No doubt that’s a part of the problem, but the MAIN cause is that we eat too much of everything.
We need certain fats for cellular transport, brain function, energy, and to cushion joints.
In moderation, fats can help lower cholesterol and protect against heart disease.
Fats boost our metabolism because they are the biggest energy source, even more so than carbs or protein!
They also transport vitamins, minerals and other important substances to cells, aiding tissue growth and repair.
Your fat allotment should, at minimum, comprise 10% of your daily calorie total.
Depending upon your activity level, you may be able to increase it by as much as 25 or 30 percent—but don’t get carried away. It's important to remember here that something can be healthy and still have a gazillion calories. A gram of fat contains 9 calories; that means if you are eating 25 grams of olive oil, that's 225 calories.
Put another way, one tablespoon of olive oil has about 190 calories; a tablespoon is made up of 3 teaspoons so you do have some leeway—but don't get carried away.
Try these 5 tips to incorporate more healthy fats in your diet:
1. Substitute avocado instead of mayo on your sandwich. (Just be sure the avocado is really ripe and mushy!)
2. Eat tuna as a salad with olive oil and vinegar and vegetables—not as a sandwich with mayo.
3. Drizzle salads with olive oil and vinegar, instead of packaged salad dressing.
4. Sprinkle a little sesame oil on your brown rice for a nutty flavor that's packed with health benefits.
5. Bake with cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. It's been criticized because of the saturated fat content, coconut oil is loaded with health benefits! It can help lower cholesterol, boost immunity, increase energy, control weight, and more.
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.