Pizza! Gluten-Free Recipe
Something about pizza never fails to please. Maybe it’s the crispy base. Maybe it’s the huge variety of toppings we can use to personalize it. Or maybe it’s because pizza is made to share and we usually eat it in great company.
But if you take a look at the ingredients of a pizza base on the back of a supermarket pizza box, it doesn’t seem quite so pleasing:
- Wheat flour: increases blood sugar, creates an inflammatory response due to the gluten in the wheat, contains proteins which are difficult to digest
- Corn starch: processed using glutaraldehyde (a toxic chemical also used as a wart treatment)
- Partially hydrogenated oils: contain trans fats, which are linked to increases in bad LDL cholesterol, decreases in good HDL cholesterol, and increases risk of heart disease
- Sodium carbonate: also found in bleaching agents, detergents and other industrial and household cleaning products
But there is a simple solution: Make your own!
This gluten and dairy-free pizza base recipe is packed full of protein and only takes five minutes to make. Top it with your favorite ingredients, pop it under the grill, and you’ve got yourself a perfect pizza, free of any wart treatment and bleaching agents!
- 30g natural pea protein
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp psyllium husks
- 2 eggs
- 3 to 5tbsp water
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Mixed peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and dried herbs
- Sundried tomatoes, red onion and olives
- Roasted beetroot, butter squash, garlic and thyme
- Asparagus, mushrooms and pistachios
1. Pre-heat a grill to medium and prepare the ingredients for your topping.
2. Mix together the pea protein, mixed herbs, and psyllium husks.
3. Add the eggs to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
4. Add enough water to that you have a smooth mixture with a fairly thick consistency.
5. Heat a flat bottom frying pan and add the coconut oil.
6. Cook the pizza base like a pancake by pouring the pizza batter in the pan and frying for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked enough to turn over.
7. Flip the pizza base and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes, remove from the pan and place on a baking tray.
8. Add your pizza toppings to the base and grill until the toppings are cooked.