Gluten-Free Recipe: Gourmet Pasta With Tomatoes & "Cream" Sauce
This pasta is loaded with healthy plants and protein. Enjoy it as a delicious complete meal.
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked overnight. (See direction #1)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 2 cups brown rice pasta or any gluten-free pasta of your choice
- 3 large organic tomatoes, peeled, seeded (May use prepared organic tomato sauce of your choice)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Asian mushrooms, shiitake and/or maitake, chopped small
- 1 shallot, minced
- saffron strands (optional)
- handful of fresh greens of your choice
- Dried hot pepper flakes
- sea salt
1. Place cashews in a glass dish with filtered water to cover about 1/2 inch. Cover and put in refrigerator to soak overnight.
2. In the morning, drain and rinse cashews well. Put in blender with garlic and Dijon mustard. Add a bit of water just to blend to creamy thick, not watery consistency. Put back in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain well.
4. In same pot, saute shallots for 2 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes. Add just enough water to prevent burning.
6. Add back pasta to the pot on medium/low heat. Add tomatoes and cover until tomatoes are soft and are able to be blended well with the other ingredients. Or, you can use jarred organic tomato sauce of your choice)
7. Take cashew cream out of refrigerator and add 1/2 cup to your pasta mix.
8. Add saffron strands, if using, and mix gently with a fork until heated through.
9. Add pepper flakes and sea salt to taste.
10. Remove from heat, place chopped greens on top and cover for 1-2 minutes to steam.
Serve immediately. Enjoy this healthy complete meal!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.