5 Lessons Learned From A 100-Day Surf Challenge

5 Lessons Learned From A 100-Day Surf Challenge Hero Image

A while back I set a challenge for myself. A pretty big one. I decided I would surf every day for 100 days straight. 

Why? Well, I was feeling out of sorts. Not quite myself. I wanted to do something that I knew would reconnect me to ME.

It turned out to be one of the smartest things I've ever done. I wanted to share with you my biggest lessons from my 100 days of surfing:

1. Just keep going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Perseverance is key. There were days when the wind was howling, when the waves were almost unsurfable, busted knees, shark sightings and all matter of reasons not to keep going. But all it took was committing to one surf at a time. Focusing on the small steps that made up the whole journey. When you doubt yourself, don’t stress about the bigger picture; just do whatever you need to do to take the next step.

2. It feels good to be stretched.

We all benefit from being stretched. Whatever your challenge is, know that only positives can come from pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone. Growing is a good thing.

3. Mindset matters.

A positive mindset can help you reframe almost any obstacle. The surf is really big? I’m excited to push my boundaries. Crazy thunderstorm? I’m stoked to have the waves to myself. Exhausted? I know how awesome my body will feel when I’m done. It’s all a matter of changing the way you look at your challenges. Asking yourself, "What can I learn from this?" In coaching, we call this "thinking above the line." It's an incredible way of shifting perspective.

4. Accountability rocks.

I can’t get enough of it. It played such a big part in this challenge. Putting myself out there and knowing that awesome folks were watching and reading gave me so much motivation. If you really really want to achieve something, tell someone you’re going to do it, and ask them to hold you accountable. You’ll be amazed at how powerful it can be.

5. Finding me.

The main reason for setting this challenge in the first place was to reconnect with my true identity. To remember what makes me me. There is a great French saying, "Etre bien dans sa peau," which means "Feel good in your skin." A sense of being at ease with yourself is a beautiful thing. My 100-day challenge made me fall in love with surfing all over again, but the biggest thing it did was help me realign with the real Linzi. And that feels EPIC.

The morning after my 100th day, I woke up early, with a smile on my face, knowing exactly what I was going to do next. I jumped in my car, raced to the beach and got straight back in to the ocean. Because surfing is a part of me. This is who I am.

Check out the 100 Days of Surf videos here.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More