10 Things Yoga Students Need To Stop Saying
You May Also Enjoy

How To Stop Taking Yoga So Seriously

Walk into any yoga studio, and people are warming up long before the actual warm-up begins, while others frantically send out one last email on their smartphones. Many of us have simply transferred  Read

I've been a yoga teacher for two years, long enough to notice a few trends in what I hear from students. I often hear excuses, self-deprecation, disclaimers, and apologies. In the yoga room, we're pretty supportive of others, yet we're so hard on ourselves. 

It’s okay to be challenged, overwhelmed, have days where you do less, or discover that the entire bottle of wine last night was not a good idea. Enter the yoga room with an open mind and leave these thoughts and phrases at the door:

1. "I’m not good at this." 

Yoga is a practice not a competition. Your instructor and classmates are there to teach you, not judge you.

2. "I’m sorry." 

Whether you’re sorry about your performance or how it’s affecting others, it's all something you and your classmates should welcome as a learning experience, not a burden.

3. "I can’t do that!" 

Postures can be executed properly across an endless range of abilities. While it may feel like you’re doing very little of the posture, it still counts!

4. "I’ll never be able do that!" 

You have no idea how much you’re capable of. But whatever you decide will become evident so start with positive thinking.

5. "Where’s the back of the room?" 

You're just as entitled to any spot in the room as anyone else, my friend. If you need a lot of instruction, why try to hide?!

6. "I’ll be doing my own modifications." 

If a trained professional instructed you to do so that’s one thing, but the phrase “my own” is a bit disconcerting. Try following the teacher’s instruction the best you can.

7. "I’m too stressed out to do yoga today." 

Saying you’re too stressed for yoga is like saying you’re too dirty to take a shower!

8. "It’s too hot outside to do hot yoga." 

But you won’t have to do any acclimatizing!

9. "Sweaty people are so gross." 

Healthy people exercise, exercise makes you sweat.

10. "I shouldn’t have eaten those nachos an hour ago." 

Live and learn!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

Why I Wasn't Happy After Losing More Than 150 Pounds

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003 and lost over half my body weight in less than a year. Six months later I was fully healed. For about a month I was at the top of my game: I wasn't in pain,  Read

To learn more about yoga, check out our video course The Complete Guide To Yoga.
About the Author

Andy Jacobs is a full time yoga instructor, currently based in LA. She spent several years fulfilling her dream of traveling the world, while teaching English and yoga along the way, visiting over 70 studios worldwide and teaching on four continents. Meeting so many healthy and progressive people along the way, she has great resources in developing a balanced and sustainable lifestyle. Learn how she did it on her blog, Andy Pandy Living.

Comments
Popular