Never Waste Food Again! 10 Tips To Use Your Leftovers
As a child, my parents often reminded me that there were starving children in the world, so I was told to either finish my food or don't take so much.
Perhaps that’s why I try to use everything I can while cooking. If your goal is to avoid food waste, you can find a great use for pretty much anything. It just takes a bit of creativity, but it’s so worth it when it’s tasty, healthy and saves you money!
Want to know some of my tips and tricks? Here you go!
1. Overripe bananas? Break into chunks and freeze in a ziplock for smoothies. Also, great for banana bread.
2. Extra onions? Chop them up and use for a rice pilaf, stir fry or even in your scrambled eggs.
3. Extra brown rice? I often purposely make too much, JUST so I have leftover to make rice pudding (recipe here!). Also great to toss in tomato soup (or any soup!) and make brown rice pilaf.
4. Extra tomato soup? Have a little extra tomato soup but not enough for a meal? Sauté some onion (that’s possibly leftover too!), add the tomato soup to your extra brown rice and you have Spanish Rice! Ole!
5. Overripe fruit? Cut out the not so pretty parts and chop up the rest. Then cook it down as a compote or fruit topping for waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, hot cereal or over ice cream!
6. Extra avocado? Even a small piece of avocado acts as a great thickener for smoothies and desserts. Make guacamole or add to canned tuna or salmon instead of mayo.
7. Extra mint? Add this to your fruit salad, hot or iced tea (I LOVE fresh mint hot tea!), watermelon cooler, or freeze in ice cubes for use later.
8. Extra fruit or veggies? Make a soup, smoothie or juice.
9. Leftover potatoes? Depending how they are prepared, you could mash them, use them in shepherd's pie (recipe here!), make a hash brown or toss in your eggs, make gnocchi (recipe here!) or make baked fries!
10. Leftover bread (gluten free or regular)? Make French toast (challah is best!), bread crumbs, bread pudding or croutons!
Lemon peel? Lately I’ve been peeling my lemons for my green juice and then with the leftover lemon peels (pith removed), I make candied lemon peel!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
About the Author
8 hours, 24 minutes ago
15 hours, 52 minutes ago
15 hours, 57 minutes ago
16 hours, 21 minutes ago
one day, 12 hours ago