7 Healthy Alternatives to Diet Soda

I used to drink soda nonstop. I worked in the restaurant industry for years, which meant that I had an endless flow of soda at my fingertips. This was very tempting, but after reading about the side effects of high fructose corn syrup and aspartame, I cut soda out of my diet. I gave up soda completely about three years ago, and I've been diet-soda-free for almost four years. If I do end up having one, it’s usually an all-natural soda like Blue Sky or Zevia. 

So what do I drink instead of soda?

1. Water. I drink lots and lots of water. I always make sure I get a minimum of 64 ounces per day, but I shoot for more. During the hot, summer months I try to get at least 96 ounces of water.
  2. Coconut water. I usually drink the plain flavor, but coconut water also comes in flavors like mango and passion fruit. Coconut water has many health benefits, including a lot of potassium and natural minerals, and it's great after a workout, to help balance your electrolyte levels.
  3. Sparkling water. If what you love about soda is the carbonation, try sparkling water. I’ve enjoyed it with added flavors like cucumber, mint, or blueberry. 
  4. Homemade flavored sparkling water. In an 8-ounce glass, add a splash of cranberry juice or orange juice. Instant spritzer! You can also muddle some fruit or vegetables in the bottom of your glass before adding ice and sparkling water. This will give you a nice, natural kick to your water. Try this with cucumbers, mint, strawberries, or raspberries.
  5. A cup of tea.  There are so many different and brands flavors to enjoy. It’s all about finding the one that works best for you.
  6. A cup of coffee. This offers many health benefits, but if you're sensitive to caffeine, be careful. I limit myself to 1 cup of coffee per day. That way if I am really dragging, I can have an extra cup and get the benefits of the added caffeine.
  7. An energy drink. On rare occasions, I will have an energy drink. But as with coffee, I limit my intake so that I can get the full effect of caffeine when needed. The kind I prefer is Steaz because they offer a zero-calorie option that is sweetened with stevia.
I hope this offers you a few new ideas! By swapping soda with the above options, you can lose weight, feel more energized, and reduce the amount of sugar and artificial sweeteners you consume.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

You May Also Enjoy

Iced Coffee Smoothie

Editor's Note: We all know a protein-rich smoothie is a smart way to start the day, but coffee is often pretty crucial as well. Carrying both on your commute can be tricky. This recipe combines the  Read

About the Author

I am a mother of 2, who was lucky enough to marry her best friend. I currently live in Herriman, UT. I am a Certified Holistic Health Counselor, and received my training through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. I am also certified by AADP. I specialize in seasonal detox programs that anybody can do because they focus on eating whole natural foods, not starving yourself or magic potions. I have published 2 cookbooks and have been helping people with weight loss for 5 years. I published a book called Seasonal Detox Guide by Elite Health Coaching, which is available on Amazon or on my website. I offer in person (if local) and phone/video coaching to all of my clients. Visit me at www.elitehealthcoaching.com, sign up for my newsletter and receive a free 3-day detox! Or find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/elitehealthcoaching or Twitter @EHCoach12.

Comments
Popular