5 Reasons Life is Better Gluten-Free

Five years ago, I tried a gluten-free diet in solidarity with my then-boyfriend, who had been having digestive issues for over 15 years. We both discovered we had increased energy, better immunity against colds and flu, and fewer seasonal allergies. 

At the time, I was training to be a health care provider, and I felt I was acting in according with the first premise of medicine, “do no harm,” as I've heard of anyone suffering from a bread or pasta deficiency.

As the holidays approach, I find it more important than ever to stick to my gluten-free ways to keep my energy consistent, avoid cravings and keep those Monday morning blahs away. 

So why go gluten-free? Here are 5 reasons why it works for me: 

1. I eat home-cooked meals more frequently. 

When avoiding something as ubiquitous as gluten, it's less convenient to eat out, and so I often choose meals that I've prepared myself. This way I know what’s in them. It also means less added salt, fat, MSG, and genetically modified ingredients.

2. I snack less. 

A cookie here, a couple crackers there ... all those calories add up. I find it easier to maintain a healthy weight when I cut out gluten.

3. I like discipline. 

The challenge of a gluten free lifestyle works for me. I like the creativity that comes from cooking gluten-free foods, especially baked goods, and knowing that I can decide to eat a certain way and follow through with it.

4. I'm eating less junk food. 

Being out in the world and trying to find gluten-free treats is not easy. I've tracked down my share of gluten-free cupcakes, but good ones are few and far between so I have to make my cake if I want to eat it, too.

5. I feel my best. 

Healthy living is about feeling great, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I’m not talking about the buzz of a strong cup of coffee, I’m talking about freedom from the ups and downs, cravings, mood-swings, and chronic ailments that can come from a less-than-ideal state of physical being. I’m not perfect when it comes to healthful eating, but I definitely feel my best when I ditch the wheat.

My then boyfriend is my now husband and we recently celebrated a gluten-free Thanksgiving just for the fun of it. 

If you suspect that gluten makes you groggy, why not try eliminating all gluten-containing foods for three weeks and see if anything changes? 

Sometimes change is a good thing!

About the Author

Erica Sawers is a registered dietitian, chiropractor and wellness consultant in private practice. She has studied nutrition, the body, fitness and health for over 15 years and is dedicated to a path of physical and mental wholeness. Erica sees clients for nutrition and wellness and runs a 10 week on-line nutrition program called Nutrition For A New You. See more at EricaSawers.com.

Save Over 30% Through Thursday!Introductory Flash Sale!Sale!
Save Over 30% Through Thursday!
Sale ends in one day, 5 hours
Whitney and Danielle, founders of Sakara Life, show you how to eat for vibrant energy, glowing skin, and your best body yet. You will learn how to optimize nutrients at every meal, listen to your body, and whip up healthy dishes in no time.
view course
Whether you're brand new to yoga or a long-time practitioner, this course provides everything you need!
view course
This guided meditation course will teach you numerous meditation techniques that will change your life!
view course
This nutrition course will teach you the basics to help you incorporate a plant-based diet into your everyday life!
view course
Comments