5 Easy Ways to Reduce Sodium in Your Diet

A friend recently asked me for some tips to lower her sodium intake, and I figured this would be a good topic to cover here. Excessive use of salt has been linked to high blood pressure, insomnia, and it can affect your joints if you have arthritis or osteoporosis, along with other health conditions.

Here are a few easy ways to cut back on the sodium in your diet:

1. Eat fresh veggies. 

Avoid canned veggies. When possible, eat seasonally. For example, in the summer eat lots of leafy greens. In the fall, eat more root vegetables. Canned veggies are fine in moderation, but often loaded with sodium.

2. Avoid pre-packaged seasonings. 

This includes dressing packets, taco seasoning, etc. One serving of commercial taco seasoning contains more than two times the recommended amount of sodium you should have per day according to the USDA.

3. Eat whole, natural foods. 

The more you cook at home, the more you can limit exactly what goes into your foods. Eating a diet rich in lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, make it easier to ensure your sodium intake is low

4. Experiment with spices. 

Try using spices like cumin, paprika, or thyme. Always try a bite of your food before adding salt onto it. It may not need it at all.

5. Avoid fast food and restaurants whenever possible. 

Fast food is loaded with salt! I used to work at a restaurant that offered a free Happy Hour buffet every Friday. They would add extra salt to all of the items so people would feel more thirsty and drink more, which is how they made most of their money. 

Sneaky!!!

Hope these tips helped! And if there are any topics that you’d specifically like to hear about, leave a comment on this post or email me at sadie@elitehealthcoaching.com.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

You May Also Enjoy

5 Snacks You Think Are Healthy But Aren't

As a nutrition company, we spend a lot of time talking to people about their health, mostly about the challenges of trying to maintain a healthy diet. And we've found that one of the hardest places  Read

About the Author

I am a mother of 2, who was lucky enough to marry her best friend. I currently live in Herriman, UT. I am a Certified Holistic Health Counselor, and received my training through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. I am also certified by AADP. I specialize in seasonal detox programs that anybody can do because they focus on eating whole natural foods, not starving yourself or magic potions. I have published 2 cookbooks and have been helping people with weight loss for 5 years. I published a book called Seasonal Detox Guide by Elite Health Coaching, which is available on Amazon or on my website. I offer in person (if local) and phone/video coaching to all of my clients. Visit me at www.elitehealthcoaching.com, sign up for my newsletter and receive a free 3-day detox! Or find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/elitehealthcoaching or Twitter @EHCoach12.

Comments
Popular