3 Tips for Embracing Change

As we cruise through life, we are handed many unexpected turns. Those turns become challenges, and the challenges we encounter are presented to help us grow, evolve and change. Wouldn’t it be nice if everything always stayed the same? If our days were consistent, and we knew what to expect all the time? But that is not the world we live in. Life is not a John Hughes film (for those of you growing up in the eighties). Today, there is not much certainty. We are asked to trust that no matter what comes our way, it is a lesson to learn from, and we can grow and prosper from the experience.

Yet, change isn't always pretty. I find the most common challenge to be accepting change, and not letting change take away who we are at our core. 

Recently I have been through my own personal change, and I was careful not to be a victim while I went through it. I am the same person I have always been, and no matter what appears to be different in my world, I have a choice in how I to respond to it, and how I let it affect me. I struggled with this, but I know enough about my true-self to recognize this and all experiences are here to help me grow, and become more sure of the self that lives in my heart. I had to do a little self discovery, but I feel pretty good about what I found: No matter what changes on the the outside, I am still the same me on the inside. With that said, here are a few tips about handling change, and how to come out smelling like a rose... loosing nothing, and gaining everything.

1) Write down the reality of the situation. Take the emotional component out of it, and asses the facts. Here's an example: Job loss. Is it a worst case scenario or an opportunity to find a life change you have been dreaming of? Be honest with yourself!

2) Asses what this life change could mean. Is it freedom? Or courage? Or a new beginning? Sometimes life’s greatest gifts come in odd wrapping, but they are still gifts when you look at the possibilities.

3) You are not your society-given identity. Rich, poor, fat, skinny, white collar, blue collar, divorced, married, great mom, lousy mom... you get the gist. You are you! And you can choose the YOU you want to be. Labels are easily torn off of a shirt, rip yours off and enjoy your own perception of who you are! How we perceive ourselves is how we present ourselves to the world. So perceive yourself as wondrous and empowered... and you are wondrous and empowered!

There is so much in life that happens out of our control. What we do control is how we choose to be, what we choose to focus on, and how we choose to respond. An old friend once told me, “Don’t walk into the tornado, walk away from it.” Wise words to live by...

Explore More