7 Ways to Break Your Bad Eating Habits
As someone who is a food addict I know all too well the up and downhill battle with the scale. I spent many years of my life being morbidly obese, weighing in at almost 300lbs. During most of that time I was a teenager. As you can imagine being a fat teenage girl can be pretty damaging on the psyche. I became depressed and lonely.

All I cared about was food. When I was 17 I was diagnosed as being a compulsive overeater, but I had no idea what that really meant. I knew there were things I wasn’t “supposed to” or “allowed to” have, and I ate them anyway. I filled myself up with food as a result of being empty inside.

More then a decade later, being half my size, I am here to tell you what I have come to discover. These are just some of the tools that have really helped me get to where I am today. I will not lie. It has not been easy. It is a daily practice that I cultivate and something I am always working on. Even if you only take away one of these tools today I promise you will see results.

1. Don’t Make Excuses

A lot of people want to loose weight. Most of these people also have a long list of excuses. I know most of them because I have used every single one. When I catch myself making an excuse I ask myself: What do I really want? You need to decide how badly you really want to lose weight. Yes you might have to make some sacrifices, but I can promise you that is worth it.

2. There Are No “Bad” Foods

When we deprive ourselves or restrict our food selection we are setting ourselves up for failure. This is one of the reasons why diets don’t work! If your body is craving something and you don’t allow yourself to eat it, you are most likely to overeat on anything and everything until your body is satisfied. When we think of foods as bad or good, we also think of ourselves as bad or good when we eat those foods. Of course, you need to be careful with the amount of food you are consuming, but in my world there is no food that is off limits.

3. Tune Into Your Body

This is one of the most important tools that you need to Cultivate Nourishment. The best way to reduce cravings and overeating is too understand what is right for you. You can only eat what you truly want when you are aware of what your body truly needs. Everyone is unique and different. Tune into yourself.

4. Enjoy Your Food

If you are always worried about what you eat you are more likely to go into restriction mode, or punish yourself. When you eat your food you should savor every bite. Eat it slowly and stop when you are full.

5. Find What Nourishes You

Make a list of all the things that nourish you. This can be the food you eat, the relationships you have, or the work that you do. The more you add nourishment into your life from sources other then food, the more likely you are not to turn to food for comfort. Start NOW by only choosing food that makes your tummy hum.

6. Connect to Your Spirit

Your mind is very powerful. It controls your thoughts and your thoughts control your actions. When you learn to cultivate awareness around what you do and how you do it, you are connecting with your inner guide, your higher power, your spirit. When we connect with ourselves in a deep and meaningful way it can change the way we do everything! Be still with yourself. If you are really brave start practicing meditation!

7. Love Yourself

Get rid of the negative self-talk. Are you a perfectionist, always saying “I am not good enough”? Having a negative opinion about ourselves can have a huge impact on who we are and what we do. Next time you catch yourself saying something negative about yourself ask, would I speak to a child like that? Turn your negative talk into positive affirmations. “I am getting better and better everyday in everyway.”

You May Also Enjoy

Tired Of Nutrition Nonsense? 7 Food Rules Anyone Can Live By

As a registered dietician, every time I begin a talk or a client session with "better nutrition is actually simple" I get looks that range from incredulous, to hopeful, to (frankly) pissed off. Read

To learn more about meditation or happiness, check out our video courses The Essential Guide To Meditation and How To Create More Happiness & Meaning In Your Life.
About the Author

Soft Spoken Teacher • Powerfully Passionate Motivator • Recovering Food Addict Inspiring The Hearts of Many

I know what it’s like to struggle with always wanting to be a different size. I have felt the pain, frustration and loneliness of living a life as a morbidly obese and fat young adult. I am living proof of why diets don’t work. As a certified holistic health counselor I empower my clients to transform their lives through healthy eating and mindful living. I believe that true health is achieved when we create complete harmony with the mind, body, and spirit. Everyday I strive to cultivate more joy and love into my life by empowering others to nourish themselves from the inside out.

Comments
Popular