6 Superfoods You Need To Know About
Here is a list of six superfoods that pack a nutritional punch. Try and incorporate them into a healthy, whole food diet to experience a wide array of health benefits.
1. Chia Seeds - These seeds originally gained popularity back in the 1990s when they were spread on ceramics and sprouted to grow Chia Pets. Chia seeds are now being raved about in the health community because of the nutritional boost they will provide when added to your diet. They are mineral rich and are loaded with antioxidants. Chia seeds are a good source of healthy fat (omega-3s) and protein. They have lots of fiber which helps bulk up stools. The fiber will also slow down digestion leaving you feeling full for a longer period of time after eating a meal containing chia seeds.
2. Acai Berry - This berry is one of the healthiest berries on the planet. Acai is extremely high in antioxidants which help eliminate free radicals in the body. It increases the overall blood circulation in the body which may contribute to a boost in sex drive, especially in men. Acai is extremely high in ellagic acid and vitamin C which together boost the immune system. This positive effect on the immune system has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer. For centuries acai has been eaten by the people in Brazil to treat skin conditions. If the berries are eaten regularly they can give your skin a healthy glow.
3. Kale - This dark leafy green is a nutrition powerhouse. Kale is packed with vitamins (including vitamins A, C and K) and minerals. It provides the body with omega-3 fatty acids which our body doesn't produce on its own. We need to get our omega-3s either through the diet or supplementation. Kale is high in iron which is used to produce hemoglobin in the blood. Per calorie kale has more calcium than cow's milk so it is helpful in preventing osteoporosis.
4. Cacao/Chocolate - I know it may be hard to believe but chocolate in its pure form is a superfood. Cacao is packed with vitamins and minerals including magnesium and zinc. It is loaded with antioxidants, containing ten times as many antioxidants as blueberries! Cacao contains a couple of special chemicals named phenylethylamine (PEA) and anandamide. PEA is produced naturally in our bodies when we get excited and brings on a similar feeling as when you fall in love. Anandamide makes you feel excited and alert.
5. Broccoli - Broccoli contains an abundance of vitamin C which aids in relieving the symptoms of the common cold and helps with iron absorption. It contains indole-3-carbinol which can help prevent hormone related cancers such as prostate and breast cancer. Broccoli contains sulforaphane that helps increase the level of certain enzymes in the body that block cancer. It is also rich in fiber which helps lower cholesterol.
6. Coconut Oil - This food is diverse in the number of ways it can be used. You can cook with it (very heat stable), use it as a body lotion or add it to your morning smoothie. The lauric acid (saturated fat) found in coconut oil increases HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and builds up the body's immune system. Lauric acid will also destroy harmful viruses and bacteria in the body. Applied topically coconut oil provides UV protection by blocking around 20% of UV exposure. Coconut oil can be used as an all natural and chemical free sexual lubricant. Even though coconut oil is over 90% saturated fat it is great for weight loss. It is minimally stored as fat in the body and increases the body's metabolism to burn more calories.
Enjoy experimenting with this list of superfoods. Always remember - You are what you eat!
Share this post with others who can benefit from this health information.
About the Author
18 minutes ago
16 hours, 50 minutes ago
23 hours, 56 minutes ago