6 Tips for a Successful Spring Detox
Ahhh, wake up! Spring is here. It's time to get moving!
I don’t know about you, but during winter, I seem to hibernate in my house. Usually around 6 pm every night, I put my pajamas on and just stay in for the night. Nothing can get me out of the house when it’s freezing out!
So when spring arrives, I seem to have this renewed energy. A new spark.
During springtime, you are filled with inspiration and have more energy to achieve your health goals. You’re more active, creative, and more apt to stick to your routines.
Not only does spring symbolize renewal and rebirth, it also reminds me of cleansing. AND a great way to supercharge the season is to detox. I’m not talking pills and powders from a box but with lots of greens and whole foods.
Spring is the perfect time to do a detox because you can take a good look at habits and make a new plan. It’s a time to set goals whether it is cooking more at home, working out, or even taking more time for yourself.
Once you experience a detox that incorporates whole foods and daily activities that support your body, there isn’t anything in the world that can compare to the feeling you get after a detox. You may feel increased bouts of energy, eliminate your cravings, lose weight, reduce bloating and get rid of belly fat. Your mind is clear and focused, and even your mood can improve. You might even glow!
Now doesn’t that rock? Let’s get some of that!
Here are 6 tips for a successful detox:
1. Eat whole foods: Try a gentle, clean food-based detox. The first step is to eliminate foods that have barcodes. This means avoid foods that come in a can or box- processed foods. I usually remind myself of this rule when I shop. Also, stick to organic fruits and veggies for your cleanse. You don’t want to add any toxins into your body during your detox!
2. Add green goodness: Spring foods consist of dandelion greens, spinach, parsley, watercress, asparagus, peas, fennel, and mustard greens. You can also add in additional dark leafy greens such as kale, Swiss Chard, and collards. The chlorophyll from the leaves feed the blood, and help your body achieve balance. Therefore, ridding your body of toxins becomes easier. You feel cleaner.
3. Eliminate added sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, wheat/gluten, eggs, animal protein, corn, and soy: These substances are allergens and need to be eliminated while you are doing a detox. Try to keep things as clean as possible.
4. Move your body: Of course eating foods that nourish and detoxify are necessary for your cleanse, but the next step is to incorporate exercise. Try gentle yoga, walking in nature, stretching. You don’t want to run twelve miles during your cleanse or do a long bike ride. You will be completely exhausted. Your body is working hard to get rid of toxins, and she needs to rest to restore during the detox period.
5. Take time to breathe and meditate: This time is for YOU. So try sitting still for at least 10 minutes a day, breathing in and out. Have a mantra. Be still. Stress is the #1 cause of inflammation so do all you can to take a few steps back and calm your mind.
6. Determine the length of your detox: 10 days is a perfect time period to feel and see changes in your body. It’s just enough time to really get the full effects of a detox. It takes time to make changes, and your body needs time to adjust to eating differently, getting rid of toxins, and establishing habits. So a cleanse less than 10 days might not give you the full results. If you are new to detoxing or want a power-boost to jump start healthy living, then 10 days is a good start.
Are you ready to get your detox on this spring?
To learn more about plant-based nutrition, meditation, or happiness, check out The Ultimate Guide To Plant-Based Nutrition With Rich Roll, The Essential Guide To Meditation With Charlie Knoles, and How To Create More Happiness & Meaning In Your Life With Charlie Knoles.
About the Author
Charlie Knoles helps you find meaning, happiness, and fulfillment in your life with this guided meditation.view course
This guided meditation course will teach you numerous meditation techniques that will change your life!view course
This nutrition course will teach you the basics to help you incorporate a plant-based diet into your everyday life!view course