4 Reasons Why Paula Deen Totally Blew It

You've probably noticed that we avoid negative posts here at MBG. But with Paula Deen's recent Type-2 diabetes announcement (which she hid for three years while she promoted the very food responsible for her illness!) and subsequent deal with a diabetes drug company -- well, that was just too much to ignore.

Why is this so upsetting?

1. Paula Deen was diagnosed three years ago but didn't announce it until she had partnered with pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk! 

Leave it to Anthony Bourdain to not pull any punches, as he tweeted "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later." Don't kid yourself here, Deen is one smart woman and knew exactly what she was doing with the timing of this announcement.

2. She's opting for pills rather than preventative medicine in the form of food. 

Bill Maher nailed it when he said, "Someone has to stand up and say that the answer isn't another pill. The answer is spinach." Deen had an opportunity to push the importance of eating healthy and preventing diabetes, but instead she opted for managing diabetes in the form of a pill and a big pharma payout.

3. Her new "healthy" options are crap. 

Paula's new "healthy" lasagna includes cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, egg white, mozzarella cheese, gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and beef. Are you kidding me? Do you think there's enough dairy in there?! 

4. She really blew an opportunity to make change. 

This is the most upsetting because she had the opportunity to positively change the diets of millions of people. She could've chose to preach the importance of healthy and great-tasting whole foods, but she didn't. Mike Paul tells the LA Times about the missed opportunity:
"She has an opportunity to say, 'Times are a changing, y'all.... There's a way of making something taste good, in a healthier way,'" Paul said. "She could say, 'I used to think that taste was most important, but now I realize that nothing is more important than my family, nothing is more important than to see my grandkids. And I need to be healthy for that. That will always trump taste. I am not going to compromise on good food and flavor; I am going to do it in a healthier way.'"
So there you have it. Hopefully it's not too late for Paula to realize the gravity of this missed opportunity and do something about it.

What do you think?

Photo credit: Shutterstock

You May Also Enjoy

10 Things That Need To Change About Health Care In The U.S.

My friend Carrie is a 40-year-old woman who had her yearly physical a few months ago and was informed that she has high cholesterol and is overweight. Read

Comments
Popular