I don’t think I’m alone when I say that parenting is one of the most challenging jobs ever. While it is by far the most rewarding, there is nothing like adding a cold to the mix to really challenge your strength, especially when you're committed to keeping your loved ones healthy.
Everything from what we eat, to what we put on our skin, to what we consume when we’re sick is well thought out in my household. It is so important for me to use the purest products in my home and on my son.
Keep it close to nature.
Because we fully absorb the ingredients we consume into our systems, it's so important to use all-natural remedies. My son was recently sick and when I went to the drug store, I noticed that nearly every store-bought brand cough syrup had a laundry list of ingredients I could barely pronounce. Ultimately, that is what led me to Maty’s Healthy Products. Maty’s has NO hidden ingredients—none of those ingredients you don’t know or understand. In fact, you can find most of the ingredients in their products right in your kitchen!
I love that Maty’s products contain immune boosting, antioxidant-rich ingredients like raw apple cider vinegar, buckwheat honey, cayenne pepper, and lemon peel; it’s almost like a homemade recipe already bottled up and ready. And it’s so easy for me to run out and grab some, because, who has time to DIY when you or your little one is sick?
There’s truly nothing more comforting to me than knowing my son is getting the best quality ingredients to help him fight off illness, which is why I swear by my Maty’s products.
My secret weapon for helping sick kids breathe better.
After using Maty’s All-Natural Cough Syrup for the first time, my son’s cough immediately started to lessen in intensity. A combination of the syrup and their All-Natural Baby Chest Rub helped break up the mucous so much that he was able to sleep better through that first night!
I also find that keeping a humidifier near his crib is super helpful. Because I love the Maty's Baby Chest Rub so much, I use the same essential oils in his humidifier at night, adding a few drops each of lavender, chamomile, and eucalyptus essential oils. It's my secret weapon for helping my son breathe in soothing, moist air, which speeds up recovery.
Add cold-busting foods to your diet.
I cannot stress enough the importance of putting quality, whole foods into your body. The benefits can be seen and felt almost immediately! When you eat a plant-based diet rich in fruits and vegetables, you’ll naturally boost your immune system with nourishing vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. My son and I eat a plant-based diet of green juices, smoothies, tons of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and nut milks.
We both have a green juice daily that also includes ginger and turmeric, which boost the immune system. If either of us is in the early stages of a cold, I also add a few drops of oregano oil to our juices. This is a great way to incorporate a prevention remedy into our everyday routine! I believe the earlier you introduce healthier options, the more your child will gravitate toward them going forward.
Melissa's Flu-Fighting Soup Recipe:
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 2 containers of organic vegetable broth
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger, diced (grate skin off before chopping)
- 3 large Japanese yams, cubed
- 4 cups of baby carrots, cubed
- 8 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 inch of diced turmeric (grate skin off before chopping)
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Himalayan sea salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Handful of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Add all ingredients into pot and simmer for 45 minutes on a low heat with lid on top.
- Add chopped cilantro to soup. Enjoy!
My go-to natural wellness remedies.
And finally, it's important to have a 'toolkit' of remedies on hand for when you or your loved ones get sick. Here are my top 6 go-to, natural remedies that I swear by when I feel a cold coming on.
1. Maty’s All Natural Cough Syrup—even if I don’t have a cough yet but I feel something coming on, this is great since it’s made with whole-food immune boosting ingredients
2. Probiotic twice a day (one in the AM, one in the PM)
3. Buffered Vitamin C 1000mg (consult with a doctor before taking)
4. Neti pot with sea salt saline solution
5. Chamomile, Lavender, & Eucalyptus Essential Oils in a humidifier at night, paired with Maty’s Baby Chest Rub for a restful night’s sleep
6. 1 teaspoon goldenseal + 1 teaspoon of oregano oil in ½ cup of organic juice