3 Ways To Find Time For Yoga No Matter How Busy You Are

3 Ways To Find Time For Yoga No Matter How Busy You Are Hero Image
Photo: @daniellecuccio

I’m a yoga fanatic and have been teaching for the past 5 years. The reality is, even I don't always have time for yoga.

Work, kids, dogs, husbands, wives, family, meetings, eating, sleep, time with your friends ... there are only so many hours in the day. I get it. It’s overwhelming and our minds and bodies need a break! I once heard something that stuck with me. “It’s the busy people and the people that don’t have time, that need yoga and meditation the most.” And that is 100% true.

There are days where I get home late and just have time to eat dinner, maybe watch a TV show (my favorite time of the day!) and before I know it, it’s 10 p.m. and time for bed. I could teach five clients that day and get everyone else’s yoga in except mine. "If only I had a little more time to myself! I want my yoga time too! As a CEO of a global yoga brand, I still teach private yoga, I write weekly for my health blog, have meetings daily, and try to answer all my emails every day. There is always a ton going on and a lot more to do.

Despite a busy schedule, I know yoga is the answer to finding that dose of peace I need to maintain my sanity. When I make it into a class or even unroll my mat in my living room, turn the lights down low and light a candle, everything seems to be okay. It’s proven science. Practices such as yoga and meditation tap into our Parasympathetic Nervous System (Rest & Relaxation) and tells our body we can finally relax. It is in this healthy environment our body functions at it’s best. When I’m relaxed, everyone around me can tell. My skin looks good, my mood is way more easy-going, and I seem happier.

My secret? I take five minutes before bed or wherever I can find it. We all have five minutes.

If you're too busy for yoga, here's what you should do.

At home:

With or without a yoga mat, start in child's pose (knees wide apart, big toes together, arms stretch out long in front of you). Come onto all fours and cat/cow your upper body; rounding and arching your back a few times. Come into a neutral spine when you feel ready and tuck your toes under into downward facing dog. Inhale right leg up and step it in between your hands, coming into a low lunge. Stretch your right arm up towards the sky. Come back into Downward Facing Dog and repeat on the left side. You can stop here or continue with what your body needs if you have more time.

Photo credit: Danielle Cuccio

At your desk:

Keep an essential oil on your desk for those extra stressful days. Take three deep breaths with the bottle open. Keep the breaths long and slow. I like geranium, lavender or eucalyptus.

Then, place your arms forward on your desk. Thread your right arm (palm facing up) under your left arm and place your right temple down on your desk. Switch sides. If you can get up a few times a day to walk around, touch your toes and stretch, this will make a difference in your day and help you destress.

In the car:

Instead of just listening to the radio, pay more attention to your breath, to your surroundings and maybe listen to something a bit more relaxing. I sometimes like to listen to classical music or my Savasana Playlist (Find me on Spotify!: Danielle Cuccio). L.A. traffic can be brutal, and I like to try to use that extra time spent in my car in a beneficial way. Most of us commute to places so this is a great time to find that mindfulness.

Hope you enjoy and find a bit more peace in your day today.

Explore More