There are a ton of celebrities who practice yoga. Why is this so? Well, in addition to the physical and spiritual benefits, I think that yoga is extremely popular among celebs because they can practice whether they’re on set or on tour. After all, one of the many great things about yoga is that all you need is your breath and a little bit of space.
So when I put together my initial list of celebrity yogis, the number quickly approached 100, which is way too long a post. So I condensed the list to those who've had the most impact on yoga in 2011. (If it were 2010, Gisele would have been the clear winner, but this year she's been quiet on the yoga front).
Here you go:
11. Lady Gaga - Whether it’s her tweets about power yoga or life lessons from her yoga teacher, simply put, when Gaga says something, people listen. And the fact that she's been saying a lot about yoga this year is a good thing.
10. Russell Simmons - What's great about Russell Simmons is that he's a celeb that doesn't opt for privates but actually goes to class -- a lot. Odds are if you go to Jivamukti in NYC enough, you'll run into Russell and witness him holding a headstand for a minute, or two, or three...
9. Jennifer Aniston - Jen swears by her instructor, Mandy Ingber, as she did the introduction to her DVD. To start off 2011, Jen gave Oprah a yoga mat on national TV. She's also an example of a celebri-yogi who practices on set, and she's 'yoga buddies' with Nicole Kidman.
8. Sting & Trudie Styler - Sting and his wife, Trudie Styler, are the ultimate celebri-yogi couple, as they've been practicing yoga for over 20 years! Sting hits the mat on tour and recently said, "Like music, yoga is a journey -- one that is long enough so you keep developing, and keep learning. I don't see an end to it."
7. K$sha - Last month K$sha received a lot of flack from the press because she practiced on the beach in an unflattering high-waisted swimsuit. But it's yoga, and your practice is your own -- so who cares what you wear?! Go K$sha!
6. Miranda Kerr - Last year Gisele gave birth to her son and credited yoga with losing her baby weight. This year it's Miranda Kerr who takes the reins as yoga-mom-supermodel who sings the praises of yoga. She also went through 27 hours of labor with no drugs! Eat that plank pose!
5. Jon Bon Jovi - Make that Jon Bon Jovi - Yogi! Like most guys, the 48-year-old rocker was a gym rat, until he found yoga in 2011 -- and yoga is his new exercise of choice. So when rockers like Jon make the gym-to-yoga conversion, I think it's kind of a big deal!
4. Alessandra Ambrosio - Just like fellow supermodel-mom, Miranda Kerr, Alessandra credits yoga with her post-baby weight loss. She tweets frequently about hitting yoga class -- and it's not for show, she can actually do a headstand!
3. Adam Levine - A picture is worth a 1,000 words -- or in this case, a 1,000 sun salutations. The Maroon 5 frontman bared his yoga body for cancer awareness in January and says of yoga "When I started practicing I instantly felt more sculpted. Yoga carves you into a different person—and that is satisfying physically..." Don't you agree?!
2. Heather Graham - Heather has been hitting the mat for over 11 years and it's definitely paying off as she looks stunning at 40. In addition to loving our friend and all-star yogi, Vinnie Marino, Heather takes her practice seriously enough to have just gone on a yoga retreat at one of my favorite destinations, Xinalani!
1. Michelle Williams - Yoga is about giving back, and Michelle gave back big-time in 2011 with her Yoga for Single Moms Project. Michelle says,"Yoga gave me relief like nothing else; it made me a better person and a better mother... And then I started to think about how expensive it is to get a babysitter to take a yoga class. The idea behind the program is that if you can clear the time, we do the rest. It provides childcare while the mum is in the yoga class, and it's all free." Namaste to that!
Photo credits: Shutterstock