11 Things You Need To Know Today (October 7)

11 Things You Need To Know Today (October 7) Hero Image

1. Paris tops lists of the world’s fastest city runners.

Strava, a GPS-based athletic activity tracker, used its 136 billion data points to release its findings on the running and cycling habits of users around the world. Topping the list of the world's fastest city runners is Paris, at an average pace of 8:56 minutes/mile. Milan led the pack of cities that cycle farthest, with an average ride of 33.7 miles. (Gizmodo)

2. Your credit score says a lot about whether or not your relationship will last.

The U.S. Federal Reserve recently found that partners with healthy credit scores are more likely to have a successful long-term relationship. (International Business Times)

3. The average American loses 10 percent of their cardiorespiratory fitness each decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

A new study from Ball State University found that Americans lose roughly 10 percent of their VO2 max, the amount of oxygen you are able to use during intense exercise, each decade from their early 20s. (Ball State University)

4. Californians eat HOW MUCH organic food?!

The Golden State is responsible for a whopping 41 percent of the country's organic food sales, according to a recent survey by the USDA. Washington, Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Wisconsin round out the top five most organic-friendly states. (USDA)

5. Ronda Rousey makes the cover of Men's Fitness in Australia.

The UFC champion is the first woman ever to appear on the magazine's cover, which she did in advance of her upcoming fight in Melbourne. (The Cut)

6. California will now allow assisted suicide.

The state became the fifth in the nation to let doctors prescribe lethal doses of drugs to terminally ill patients. (NYT)

7. Watch out for this new organic, grass-fed burger chain.

Elevation Burger has only 34 locations in 10 states, but it's getting some serious attention. (Business Insider)

8. Does this have gluten in it?

This new device called Nima lets you test food for gluten right at the table quickly and easily. It's on presale now. (BuzzFeed)

9. Watching good TV might make you a better person.

Great news for binge-watchers! A study published last week in Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts found that watching high-quality television dramas — think Mad Men or The West Wing — can make you a better judge of other people's emotions, whereas shows without solid acting — like anything on Shark Week — won't up your emotional intelligence at all. (Science of Us)

10. Peet's Coffee & Tea is acquiring Stumptown.

Peet's will purchase ownership of Stumptown from its existing shareholders, including majority stakeholder TSG Consumer Partners LLC. Stumptown will continue to operate independently, according to details provided to Eater, and Peet's will "continue to pursue its own growth strategy." (Eater)

11. Emma Watson loves yoga and meditation.

"I'm a massive yoga fan and I've been trying, for a couple of years now, to finish my yoga certification so that I can teach, which is very exciting. And so as part of that certification I went into a week of meditation teaching, which was amazing and a super great experience." — Emma Watson (BBC)

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More