With summer almost here, what better way to celebrate the changing season than with a nourishing, delicious breakfast alternative that can be served hot or cold? "Golden milk" is an infusion of turmeric into milk (coconut milk is used in this nondairy version here), and the addition of apple and butternut squash rounds this recipe into an unconventional, yet satisfying, way to enjoy the healing properties of this ancient root.
Anti-Inflammatory Golden Turmeric + Ginger Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup butternut squash purée
- 1 cup coconut milk
- pinch cardamom
- pinch salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- handful of chopped fruit or berries
- bee pollen
1. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor, pulse until the apple and ginger are incorporated and the mixture is the texture of oatmeal.
2. Transfer to bowls and top with more freshly grated turmeric, a few cracks of black pepper, chopped fruit and nuts if desired, and bee pollen.
Photo courtesy of the author