28 Easy Self-Care Practices Anyone Can Do
You May Also Enjoy

How To Trust That The Universe Will Give You Exactly What You Need

This summer, I left the yoga studio I'd opened more than three and a half years earlier. Even though I wasn't paid for my efforts beyond the wages I earned teaching classes, I managed the studio  Read

When I was in my master’s degree program, one of the teachers presenting had us do a “self-care assessment.” I had never even heard the word self-care when she started presenting.

We often forget to take care of the most important thing: ourselves. When we are on an airplane, the flight attendant tells us at the beginning of the flight that in the event of emergency to put our own oxygen mask on before helping other people – if we do not take care of ourselves, we cannot be there for those around us.

In the spirit of taking care of ourselves first, here are 28 ideas to spark some self-care in your life this month:

1. Take a bath.

2. Get a massage.

3. Go to the park.

4. Go on a walk.

5. Take time to be sexual – with yourself or your partner.

6. Try something new where you’re not in control or the expert.

7. Play with a child.

8. Visit a family member and get coffee.

9. Organize your DVDs and books and sell the ones you don’t want anymore.

10. Go to a yoga class.

11. Do your favorite DIY activity.

12. Write in a journal.

13. Sing karaoke.

14. Turn off your computer, tablet, and cell phone for two hours.

15. Watch your favorite movie from childhood.

16. Organize your iTunes music.

17. Get a manicure/pedicure.

18. Get lost in a magazine.

19. Dance around in your apartment.

20. Try a guided meditation.

21. Visit that new restaurant you’ve been wanting to go to.

22. Read for pleasure.

23. Bake.

24. Eat chocolate.

25. Go walk around your favorite store without buying anything.

26. Pick up the phone and call an old friend.

27. Be a tourist in your own town.

28. Start a gratitude journal.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

How To Find Happiness At Work, Even If You Don't Like Your Job

Is it possible — or even wise to try — to be happy at jobs we don't resoundingly like? The answer is yes. Within ourselves we have many resources to become more productive and feel happier at work  Read

To learn more about happiness or yoga, check out our video courses How To Create More Happiness & Meaning In Your Life and The Complete Guide To Yoga.
About the Author

Rachel Gibbs, M.A. is a Marriage Family Therapist Intern specializing in individual, couples and group therapy, focusing primarily on couples, relationship, and sex therapy. Rachel is currently working in Private Practice in San Francisco, CA under supervision. In addition to being a prominent relationship therapist, Rachel has presented at numerous trainings sharing her therapy expertise with the LGBTQ community and to general audiences speaking on the topics of healthy sexuality, and the stages of coming out. You can contact Rachel at her website, her Facebook page, or you can follow her on Twitter.

Comments
Popular