Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.
Close Banner
Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

5 Activities That Will Help You Cleanse

Rhea Mehta, Ph.D.
Author:
April 21, 2014
Rhea Mehta, Ph.D.
Toxicologist, Integrative Health Coach
Photo by Shutterstock.com
April 21, 2014

For me, spring is all about healing and rejuvenation. It's about revisiting and reviving those 2014 goals and intentions I set way back in January. It's about spending time outdoors, in the sunshine, feeling the happiness of plants and beings around me, and breathing in clean, fresh air. It's about eating clean food, moving my body, and doing what I can to release the toxins that have found their way deep into my cells.

Just as we clean our homes, cars, cottages, and work spaces, it makes sense to actively and purposefully cleanse our bodies, from the inside. With diminished movement, fresh air, local food, and sunlight during winter, it's natural for our bodies to have accumulated toxins faster than they can escape. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, spring is inherently a time of awakening energy from within and renewing the body's power to release inflammation and revitalize health.

My preferred form of cleansing is one that's accelerated, and generally involves going on a detoxifying liquid diet for multiple days in a row. But there are many daily detoxifying practices that can be done as well, either in addition to a cleanse or to complement one you're already doing. These activities promote the outward flow of toxins.

The result? Restored energy, inner strength, peace and happiness, outer glow and radiance, and a heightened sense of clarity.

Here are my top 5 tips to support you on your spring cleanse:

1. Dry body brushing. Gently brush your body, in the direction of your lymphatic system, to stimulate the release of toxins

2. Try coconut oil pulling. Swish coconut oil in your mouth immediately upon waking to remove toxins that have built up inside your mouth.

3. Give hydrotherapy a go. Alternate your shower with hot and cold water to stimulate circulation.

4. Practice Kundalini yoga. Raise energy throughout your body to heal and transform the nervous system.

5. Enjoy some chia pudding. Soak chia seeds in room temperature water for 10 minutes and consume before bed, to support the microflora in your gut, as well to help you excrete toxins stuck in your digestive tract.

Along with actively cleansing our bodies, it's also helpful to think of ways we can de-clutter our lives and spaces in general. So I leave you with this question: How can you lighten your load, to create more space for healing, freedom and happiness?

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

What Is Meditation?

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Light Watkins

Box Breathing

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

What Breathwork Can Address

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

Nutrition | Rich Roll

What to Eat Before a Workout

Nutrition | Rich Roll

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Nutrition | Sahara Rose

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Love Languages

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Related Videos (10)

What Is Meditation?

Box Breathing

What Breathwork Can Address

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

What to Eat Before a Workout

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love Languages

Advertisement

More On This Topic

more Mindfulness
Advertisement
Advertisement