Looking for ways to be calmer, happier and more centered? The answer could lie in the pages of a sketchbook. As someone who knows the positive effects drawing can bring to anyone's life, I'd like Read
Mirrors are a huge metaphor for all of life. Our homes are also mirrors of our lives on many levels. Our lives are a reflection of our feelings toward ourselves and toward others, along with our thoughts, actions and words. Our inner life is reflected back at us in small and big ways.
Everything is a mirror.
If everything in your world is totally gorgeous right now, and you’ll just pick up a few fun feng shui mirror tricks in a moment.
If you have some less-than-awesome life stuff to confront in your world, this mirror metaphor can serve you very well. In times of crisis I ask myself, "What am I being shown by what is happening right now? What ideas and emotions, fears or blocks in me, are being held up for me to see in my life?"
The cool thing about mirrors is that once you see something in the mirror — like crazy morning hair that catches you by surprise — you can fix it. But you have to see it first!
And the mirror metaphor carries through life: it's really hard to fix an issue unless you can confront it!
Mirrors shine a light on us, inside out and outside in.
In feng shui, mirrors have loads of power. They magnify, they energize and they alter space dramatically. They double everything they see. They're considered the “aspirin” of feng shui because they can “cure” a space that's awkwardly shaped or lacking lustrous energy.
Today, I want to focus on the simple ways to make the most of your mirrors. There are a zillion and one “mirror rules” in feng shui, and I stand behind about 10 of them. Yet only a few are universal to every space.
Here a few practical feng shui mirror tips to keep in mind:
1. Keep your mirrors clean. When the reflection you see is cloudy, you're reinforcing a cloudy mind.
2. Try to hang mirrors so that everyone in your home can see their full head (at least) reflected in the mirror.
3. Don’t have mirrors facing one another in your home. You'll create a funhouse effect, a strange vortex that isn't great for the overall flow of your home.
Now, in the spirit of both fun and ushering greatness into your home and life, I wanted to share a few more creative mirror tricks to harness the intense and somewhat magical power of mirrors.
1. Affirm your goodness in a mirror! Once you have all of your mirrors sparkling clean and hung so they feel great to you, it's time to put them to great use! My mom used to tell my sister and me that if we got upset in grammar school, we should run to the bathroom and smile at ourselves in the mirror. In retrospect, this advice never failed us!
As it turns out, this is the first glimmer I experienced of Louise Hay’s much-famed “mirror work.” She recommends that you look in a mirror to say affirmations. One of my favorite affirmations of hers: “My life loves me!” Saying this over and over again in a mirror makes me ridiculously happy. Giddy. Elated.
You can craft your own affirmations. You can even just smile in the mirror!
2. Use a mirror to add wattage to your dreams. Remember, whatever a mirror sees, it doubles. So, if you are really focused on an intention, you can use a mirror to symbolically double it.
For example: if you're looking to bring more love into your life, and you have a special symbol of love (maybe your grandma’s wedding ring, or a piece of rose quartz pink crystal or just about anything meaningful to you), that will go atop the mirror.
I get small mirrors at craft shops, but you can use any mirror.
Lay the mirror flat on a countertop so it reflects the ceiling. Place your symbolic object on top of it. Keep the mirror and the objects clean, and you’ll stay constantly reminded of your dreams and how much energy you're bringing to them. This is a small but great ritual to keep your “eyes on the prize” in your life, and off things like worry and fear!
More focused energy, happiness, self-esteem, truth, love, joy, beauty, power and ritual … just a few reasons to start polishing your mirrors! While you do, remind yourself that you're polishing your life every day as well, making both reality and its reflection even brighter.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com