Michael Franti is an accomplished inspirational singer songwriter who lives and breathes his mission of spreading love everywhere he goes. The goal of most healers and lightworkers is to have people unconditionally love themselves and act like it, to be themselves in all their glory and to embrace the diversity of every living being on this earth. Michael does just that through his music. He knows how the power of music can inspire, bring hope, make people dance and even make people cry.

A Michael Franti show is so much more than just a show. It’s an experience that will change your life for the better, forever. I learned so much about life from Michael Franti, but here are six lessons that stood out:

1. Be you in all your glory.

“All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.” Michael is 6’6’’ tall, rarely wears shoes and was adopted. He embraces every bit of himself, and instead of hiding or being afraid to shine, he lets it all hang out. Michael sings about what he believes in, even if it may ruffle some feathers.

We’re all meant to shine. His voice, soul and spirit inspire us to do just that. When you go to a Michael Franti show, you feel free to be yourself in all your glory and that feeling lasts way after the show ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Remember we're all in this together.

Michael not only performs on the stage, but he rocks out in the aisle and climbs up to the balcony to make sure everyone attending receives his love, too. Every person in the venue is important, just as every living soul on this earth is important too.

At the Burlington, Vermont show, he told us he traveled to places where people are suffering from war and disease. He played his guitar and sang on the street for whoever would listen. Afterwards, he listened to stories of loss from his new fans. It doesn’t matter where you live, what your circumstances are or what your religion is. When you suffer the loss of someone you love it feels the same.

3. Don't put yourself on a pedestal.

He doesn’t put himself on a pedestal. He may be on a stage, but he shows us he’s not above us. He takes that division away by singing and dancing throughout the venues and pulls people on stage to sing and dance. By living his dream, he gives the audience members hope that they can live their dreams, too. Michael Franti is raising the vibration of the world one person, one song and one show at a time.

4. Go above and beyond for people.

At the end of his show, Michael takes the time to give autographs, get a photographs taken, to hug or to listen to a story. He goes above and beyond. He's brought awareness to Steve, who has ALS, and his wife Hope’s situation; he met with kids who were collecting shoes for those in need for Souls4Souls; and he’s a huge part of Do It for the Love, which gives people with life-threatening diseases the chance to attend musical events.

5. Use love to guide you.

Michael encourages you with his music to just love. When you have to make any difficult decision, always think about what love would do. Love for all the people involved, love for the world and love for yourself. You can’t go wrong if you do what love does. Michael always does what love would do, and it shows.

6. Play and be silly.

I was lucky enough to get to hang out with Michael after the show. I thought there would be conversations about world politics. Mostly we played, danced and laughed.

Take the time to experience life and take care of yourself. Life on the road can be hard. I’ve heard so many musicians say that when they're on tour, all they see is the inside of their tour bus, hotel rooms and venues. While in Burlington, Vermont Michael took a yoga class at Burlington Yoga, ate at a local favorite, Stone Soup, and he got a massage from Molly Seglin of Blissful Healing. You only have one lifetime and one body. Take the time to nurture it. Create memories. Do what you love. Have no regrets.

I learned so much about life at a Michael Franti concert, and I hope that one day you have the opportunity to do so, too.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More