10 Tricks To Save You Time In The Kitchen
You May Also Enjoy

The New French Revolution: Ethical Parisian Chefs Serving Amazing Vegetables

Confession: I am an amateur foodie only. I drive less than five miles from my home to Bacco Ristorante where Chef Luciano Del Signore prepares a world class three-course vegan menu sourced from local  Read

You're really busy. So am I. That said, we don't have time to slave away and waste the day in the kitchen. Here's are my favorite ways to shave off some precious time and get out of the kitchen.

1. Get rid of all those gadgets. You only need a good knife, a cutting board, and a high quality blender (think Vitamix). Most other tools take up space, take up too much time to clean, and are expensive and unnecessary.

2. Prep produce before you put it away after grocery shopping. First of all, dirty produce has no place in your clean fridge. Second, you don't want to deal with cleaning produce several times a day. Take 30 minutes after grocery shopping to wash and scrub your produce. You'll thank yourself later.

3. Set a timer for your rice, beans, and things that take more than 30 minutes. This way you can finish your other tasks without waiting around on food you're cooking.

4. Never mince garlic. Smash it with your knife, and move on. 

5. Pick one day a week and make big batches. I typically prepare a grain, a protein (such as bean or lentils), maybe some hummus or almond butter, and a nut milk, along with my prepped produce. Mid-week, take 30 minutes to re-evaluate and fill in any gaps. For example, make more almond milk, cut more veggies for snacks, and make a new quick grain (think quinoa) to get you through the rest of the week.

6. Cook once, eat twice. Get in the habit of making big batches when you do cook, so that you only have to actually cook a time or two each week.

7. Make breakfast and lunch the night before. And make at least two at a time. Who wants to be doing that same chore again in 12 hours? 

8. Invest in mason jars for leftovers, smoothies, and salad to-go containers, etc. They're handy for freezing soups and other goodies, travel well, and will you save time scrambling though old Tupperware containers and lids (which you know you shouldn't be using anyway).

9. Join a CSA. If you're like me, you typically shop mainly for produce anyway, so save the trip to the store, all while supporting your local farmer and your health.

10. Make your toaster oven your new BFF. Throw whatever you plan on eating in a single, oven-safe dish, toss in the oven, and go about your business. Come back in 10 to 20 minutes and your meal is ready! I do this in the morning while getting ready or while paying bills in the evening. You can do this with your regular oven as well, if you're feeding your entire family. Leftovers will taste far better and you'll support your health by not using a microwave.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

Study Says Drinking Too Much Milk Is Bad For Your Bones

When we were younger, our parents always told us we couldn't leave the table until we drank our milk. "Do you want to grow up to be strong?" they'd say. The dynamic duo of calcium and vitamin D has  Read

About the Author

Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. She's been an on-camera expert for ABC, NBC, and GoodDayLive, with her writing published on a number of healthy living and nutrition websites. Melissa also teaches cooking classes and workshops at Whole Foods and various other retail outlets. She’s an avid yogi, always improving surfer, and a firm believer in faith, love, and the healing power of green juice. She’s got a heart for helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life.

Comments
Popular