SHARES

10 Unexpected Places Gluten Lurks

Whether you're a gluten-free God or Goddess, or are new to the scene, it can be a tough and confusing world out there. I personally have been fooled a time or two. I hope the list below will help to arm you with the right resources to stay healthy, happy and gluten free.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Lipstick, toothpaste, body lotion, shampoo, soap, conditioner, baby powder and sunscreen can all contain gluten.

Many of these have fillers like dextrin, which can come from corn or wheat.  There are several websites, such as this one, that list gluten-free medications. All supplements that we have on my online store are gluten-free.

Play-Doh is made from wheat flour, salt and water, and many paints also have wheat-derived ingredients.
Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, tomato sauce, gravy and salad dressings can all contain gluten.

Some restaurants add pancake batter to make eggs, or buy packaged egg products that already contain batter in order to make the eggs fluffier. The waiter, or even chef, may be unaware they're using a product that contains wheat or gluten, so make sure to ask questions!

The adhesive that makes stamps and envelopes stick can come from gluten.

Wheat can be used a filler in luncheon meats, and of course most beef jerky contains soy sauce. The "crab meat" used in many sushi rolls, like California rolls, is imitation crabmeat and contains wheat as a stabilizer. Many vegan "meats" and veggie burgers are either made from wheat or contain one of the troublesome 20 ingredients.

Beer contains gluten, of course, but distilled liquors such as vodka can also be made from wheat. Depending on your sensitivity, you may need to steer clear of these. Stick to tequila, or potato and corn vodkas.

Flour is sometimes added to thicken mashed potatoes.

You must read the ingredients! Licorice and many other solid candies are made from wheat flour.

Want more information? Check out my eBook The Myers Way: Guide To Gluten-free Living

Explore More

Related

Stuff We Love

Latest