8 Highly Effective Habits Of A Detox Nutritionist
You May Also Enjoy
Plank and squat challenges are SO last year. There's a new challenge in town, and it's one you'll actually look forward to. No sweating required, just fun, feminine, circular movement that's Read
If you're anything like me, you have a dying need to know WHAT exactly the experts eat, what they do and how they live. You're not alone, and it's one of the most frequent questions I get when people find out what I do!
Everyone has different protocols, various tips and tricks on healthy living. While it's nearly impossible to follow them all, it's great to have some more options. For inquiring minds, here are a few of my own wellness tips, drawn from my career as a detox nutritionist.
Before doing anything else each day, I consume 24 - 36 ounces of purified water with one of two things:
- Sole. This super simple pink himalayan salt solution supplies the body with 84 essential ionized minerals, normalizes blood pressure and facilitates cleansing.
- Fresh squeezed lemon. Lemon is very alkalinizing, helps digestion, stimulates the bowels, potent diuretic, clears skin, freshens breath and jazzs up otherwise plain ol water.
After my big jar of water, I typically enjoy a warm mug of purified water with 1 tablespoon of raw, local honey.
2. Practice tongue scraping.
Tongue scraping is an Ayurvedic practice that clears toxins from the tongue, helps remove coating on the tongue that leads to bad breath, helps eliminate undigested food particles from the tongue, enhances the sense of taste, promotes overall oral and digestive health, and increases your awareness of your state of health.
3. Pay attention to your lymph.
I previously wrote about keeping your lymph free and flowing, but here are some great ways to make your body's detox system function at its peak:
- Body Brushing. It's worth the few extra minutes this takes, because it leads to increased lymphatic circulation, smooth, glowing skin and diminished cellulite.
- Lymph massage. While you can treat yourself to a lymph massage by a therapist, there are many videos and articles that can instruct you on self-massages you can do at home.
4. Remember alkalinity.
When I'm ready to eat, I go for an alkalizing, remineralizing green juice. This is a given for anyone seeking a detox or cleanse. Fresh-pressed juices are instantly infused into our bodies, giving us deep hydration, minerals, chlorophyll and nutrients while giving our digestive organs a bit of a vacation. Also, by extending the time between meals, you're promoting better digestion and facilitating the cleansing process.
Whether I'm on a full blown fast or a mini-cleanse I always incorporate lots of goodies that help my body clear out toxins quickly. They can be in the form of herbs, spices, essential oils or supplements. Depending on your choice, this can be simple or a bit more thorough — start by adding simple things like lemon to your water, and turmeric or ginger to your foods and fresh-pressed juices.
Use breathing exercises, such as yogic breathing, to practice controlling and focusing on the breath. One style is called kapalabhati, and a few of its many benefits are that it:
- Generates heat in the body to dissolve toxins and waste.
- Clears out the stale, residual air in the lungs and saturates the cells with oxygen and lifeforce energy.
- Releases large amounts of carbon dioxide and toxins, thereby purifying the body.
- Strengthens the diaphragm, the heart and the entire nervous system.
7. Use castor oil rubs.
One of the most underrated detox practices! Commonly known as that gross, thick stuff that our parents were probably given as a child, the benefits of castor oil when applied to our body are so much more than anyone could ever expect! Topical application improves lymphatic flow, relieves chronic fluid retention, releases tight muscles and promotes detoxification. I typically apply it before bed or working out at least once per day.
8. Take probiotics.
Known as the go-to cure for stomach ills, probiotics enhance the immune system and aid digestion. Their action as a digestive aid helps play a part in detoxification and cleansing by breaking down substances in the gut. Besides helping digestion, this allows the body to perform at its peak.
While this list is in no way exhaustive of all things detox, these eight practices are my mainstays and offer a great foundation to start adding to your daily routine.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
About the Author
21 hours, 48 minutes ago
22 hours, 11 minutes ago
22 hours, 13 minutes ago
one day, 21 hours ago
one day, 22 hours ago